1911 .45

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
I’ve been looking at a few different manufacturers. So far I’m really liking the Sig Scopion. Any 1911 owners out there and any suggestions? The scorpion is about $1100. Kind of steep.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
My 1911 is a Springfield Armory. Wanted something that was similar to what I qualified with although I did get it in stainless. Way less than $1100. although it was twelve years ago or so. $600 new maybe ? CMP is now selling old ones but prices are also high. My first .45 at the unit was a real shooter, qualified Xpert every time. When I was issued a different pistol it was a real p.o.s., and I would barely make Marksman level. (this is why I would not want a CMP pistol, although I have bought M1 carbines that were shooters from them.)

Unrelated note: when we transitioned over to the Beretta I hated it. When I got my own 9mm I got it in CZ-75, my favorite of my little collection.

Last edited:

kenscot

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
I had the sig scorpion terrific pistol had a quite a few of the bells and whistles. I paid 999 at field and stream 2yrs ago when on sale
Two things I I did not like while it was a ambi safety the paddles were a little on the small side also the grip on the frame is a little bigger than standard 1911s. I just could never get really comfortable with it.
If ya have a big mitt you will love it
I traded mine in for a Springfield that I performed a trigger job on.
Very happy with it Really like the classic 1911 look.

Reactions: BennyV and pequa1

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
I had the sig scorpion terrific pistol had a quite a few of the bells and whistles. I paid 999 at field and stream 2yrs ago when on sale
Two things I I did not like while it was a ambi safety the paddles were a little on the small side also the grip on the frame is a little bigger than standard 1911s. I just could never get really comfortable with it.
If ya have a big mitt you will love it
I traded mine in for a Springfield that I performed a trigger job on.
Very happy with it Really like the classic 1911 look.
Thanks Ken! I never fired it but held it a few times at the store by me. I’ll check out the Springfield.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
If you fired a .45 while "wearing the green", the Springfield is identical to the Colts in weight and handling. I was one p.o'd 'occifer' when the Army switched to the underpowered and oversized 9mil Beretta.

Reactions: Avenger

kenscot

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
I was out before the 92 was issued😄. Really don’t care for that pistol. Not a fan of DA first shot.
I like the Springfield but they put some California safety features in mine along with some MIM parts that had to go. Now I have a very nice crisp4# trigger.
Also replaced the internals on my 38yr old colt commander. Now it shoots better than new minus the the blueing on the grip

kenscot

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
There is a little mini key slot in the main spring housing which locks the hammer spring plunger. Real tiny just seems like something that will fail and it uses a different hammer spring plunger and shorter heavier hammer spring 30# I believe. Replaced it along with the housing and a spec GI 23# spring. Also the used a smaller titanium firing pin The theory is that it won’t have the inertia if dropped from 8’ to fire the gun Replaced it with a Ed brown stainless steel pin but had to use a 9mm 1911 pin because it is a smaller diameter than the normal 45 firing pin I was experiencing some lite strikes on the hard Winchester primer I use in my hand loads Also replaced the MIM extractor just because I don’t care for MIM. Now gtg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Optimum II