22 Suggestions

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Been looking into a .22 for all around use... critters, targets, playing, etc.
Going back and forth between traditional style like the ruger 10/22 or tactical like the S&W MP 15-22
Thoughts, suggestions, opinions?
Thanks

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
At one point I had three .22 rifles (well, I still do but one is different now.) Anyway they were a Henry H001, a Marlin 60, and a Ruger 10/22. Re: a .22, accuracy means everything to me, (although these are a far cry from the Anschutz I shot on the college team, lol.) I put over 50 rounds through each one day at Calverton and realized the least accurate was the Ruger 10/22. I sold it the week before the unSAFE law came out. When you mention tactical, it brings a sardonic smile to my face, since most of the modifications on any semi auto with a removeable magazine such as thumbholes, vertical foregrip, etc. are now illegal in Newyorkistan. Probably because of my growing up with Laramie, Have Gun Will Travel, the Rifleman, Tombstone Territory, Laredo, etc. I like my Henrys, as I added a Henry Frontier to which I replaced the buckhorns with peep sights to the other Henry, and the Marlin, both of which I scoped. So, yes, I favor traditional.
Something to keep in mind. If you stay in NY the laws will only get worse, not better, and anything semi-auto (maybe the tube fed Marlin will be an exception) may eventually require registration or "disposal.'
Everybody raves about their Ruger 10/22. Out of the box without trigger work and a bull barrel, most are just plinkers.
I had two ARs. Sold the one that would have to have been registered in this state, and kept the other which is more accurate with its floating fluted barrel and match trigger, but evidently because it could be used and enjoyed without a p.g. its not evil, lol. ( I will never own a semi-auto that has a fixed magazine. Seems sacrilegious.) Took the bayonet mount off my M1 carbine for the same reason (although since I have handguns and bought most of my guns new at gun shops, the brownshirts know who I am and most of what I got anyway.)

Reactions: Chinacat

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
So I sold the Marlin 60 last month and will sell my remaining Bushmaster AR. The only semi auto I will keep (for now) is my CMP M1 Carbine, which I love shooting. More disturbed regarding the handgun mess our illustrious horse faced governor is doing.

Crabman

Angler
Jan 2, 2021
Take a look at a Browning BL-22. It is by far the best .22 that's ever been built. It's a lever action, tube fed.

Macks

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
So I sold the Marlin 60 last month and will sell my remaining Bushmaster AR. The only semi auto I will keep (for now) is my CMP M1 Carbine, which I love shooting. More disturbed regarding the handgun mess our illustrious horse faced governor is doing.
What is she doing,haven’t seen or read anything about it ?