Air Fryer?? We don't need no stinking Air Fryer, if "we" have a convection oven...

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I've been tempted to get an air fryer solely for heating up things like French Fries and pizza, but the Admiral has instituted a ban on any counter top appliances, unless they can be stored in the pantry (no room there) after use. The only things allowed out 24/7 are the Keurig and the Verismo coffee makers.

Well as they say, "Necessity is the Mother of invention," and I had a very great necessity today. Last evening, as we were running up from Boston around dinner time, I said to the Admiral, "Hey, it's almost dinner time and we haven't been at Bob's Clam Hut in a couple of years. We're just crossing over into Maine from NH, why don't we stop?"

First some perspective, Bob's is a landmark, one of the best Clam Shacks in Maine, which has more than a few of them. And why do we go to Clam Shacks? For fried clams, steamers to be exact. No, we don't eat those HoJo clam strips, but full body, soft-shell clams, just amazing, and Bob's has been consistently frying up some of the best clams I've every eaten. Well, I was very hungry when I got on line, and ended up order way too much food, full pints of Clams and Haddock, a 1/2 pint of Calamari and a "small" order of Onion Rings. We couldn't finish even 1/2 of what we got. Normally we don't save fried food leftovers, but this stuff is just too good, and way too expensive, to just toss so we brought it all home.

And that leads me to tonight's epiphany. As I said, the Admiral has said, and I do agree, to no Air Fryer. But how to heat up all this wonderful seafood? Microwave, oh God no, the calamari will become rubbery and everything will get soggy. And then the lightbulb went off. Our oven has 2 convection oven features, "Bake" and "Roast", somethings we've hardly ever used. So what is an air fryer, it's a heating element with a fan, just like a convection oven!!!

So the scientist kicks in, "Hmmm, I'll set the oven for 375°F on the Convection Roast cycle, and put a cookie sheet in the oven while it warms up as the oven does. As soon as the oven reaches temp, I'll scatter the fried goods in a single layer on the cookie sheet and let everything heat up for 10 min. WTH, it can be any worse than microwaving it."

I gingerly took the food out when it was finished and everything was just as CRISP & DELICIOUS as it was last night fresh at Bob's!! A new standard of excellence at the Kitchens of Chez Roccus!! Next stop, reheating pizza using the Convection Bake cycle instead of the regular Bake one. After that, I may try "frying" wings, we'll see, but I've already scored big on the reheating of fried goods. Anything else is gravy!!

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I still want an air fryer or straight up cooking but I like your reheat thinking
Like I said, "cooking" has yet to be tested, but may try soon.

I'm very skeptical whether an air fryer can really replace deep frying for things like Fried Chicken, Fried Fish or French Fries. They probably make a "reasonable facsimile", but not an exact swap out, and for the odd times I do have "go off the wagon" to enjoy fried foods, it's got to be the "real deal"...

Reactions: longcast

longcast

Well-Known Angler
Mar 7, 2019
I use the convection setting all the time. And your observation regarding heating the pan FIRST is a good one. Otherwise a slice of reheated pizza comes out soggy on the bottom. I usually put the pizza out for a bit before the oven, and have the oven preheated at 500. Not as good as from the restaurant, but good enough.

Reactions: Roccus7

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
I use the convection setting all the time. And your observation regarding heating the pan FIRST is a good one. Otherwise a slice of reheated pizza comes out soggy on the bottom. I usually put the pizza out for a bit before the oven, and have the oven preheated at 500. Not as good as from the restaurant, but good enough.
I posted it somewhere else, but reheat in a pan on stove top. Nice and crisp!

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
We absolutely swear by our air fryer. SWMBO dragged me over to one of the newer gas stoves at HD last week when I was buying paint and showed me that they now have that "air fryer capability."
After having replaced our deck and patio with Trex, doors, a window and two stoops (with Trex), installed whole house flooring and bought 8 pieces of Trex outdoor furniture, and then having to replace some ductless AC units, I was really hoping to put off any more expenditures. I will not be mentioning this thread at dinner.
That said, reheating pizza days later in the air fryer is almost like the first night. Bread crumbs and egg on otherwise blah fluke filets cooked in the air fryer are terrific but I will continue to grill marinaded weakfish.

Reactions: Chinacat

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrT