Another fatal boating accident off Freeport 8/1/2020

Aquarius

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York
I got down to my boat for the first time in a few weeks. I haven't been on the water since late June. I needed to start the engine and check a few things. Life gets in the way sometimes. Last year I hardly got out and I am again on the same trajectory.

I was talking to a dockmate who is in the Coast Guard Auxiliary and a few others that were hanging around. Everyone commented on how the pandemic has brought out a lot of new boaters and jet skiers looking for a "safe" way to get in some summer recreation. Yesterday one of them fished the bay and came in early because he kept getting waked. He said it was like the wild west out there.

I didn't watch the news last night and just saw this this morning. I can't tell from the video exactly where it happened but the boat that was hit looks destroyed. Not a little boat either. Anyone see this or know what the heck happened?

1 dead, 6 injured after 2 boats collide off LI coast: police

(Note: there are a few different videos and pictures attached to this link, not just the one that comes up first. You get a better view of the boat in the second video.)

LONG ISLAND — One person is dead and six are injured after two boats collided off the coast of Freeport on Long Island Saturday night, according to police.

Authorities say the call came in at 7 p.m. for two boats that collided at around 6:30 p.m. One of the boats was driving at high rate of speed when they collided and the other boat was split in half.

There were jet skiers in the area who heard the crash and came to the rescue, helping to pull some people out of the water.

Four victims had minor injuries and two sustained serious trauma, police said. A 25-year-old man suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at a hospital, according to police.

Nassau County police are investigating. No arrests have been made.

Editor's note: Police initially said seven people were injured.

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
I got down to my boat for the first time in a few weeks. I haven't been on the water since late June. I needed to start the engine and check a few things. Life gets in the way sometimes. Last year I hardly got out and I am again on the same trajectory.

I was talking to a dockmate who is in the Coast Guard Auxiliary and a few others that were hanging around. Everyone commented on how the pandemic has brought out a lot of new boaters and jet skiers looking for a "safe" way to get in some summer recreation. Yesterday one of them fished the bay and came in early because he kept getting waked. He said it was like the wild west out there.

I didn't watch the news last night and just saw this this morning. I can't tell from the video exactly where it happened but the boat that was hit looks destroyed. Not a little boat either. Anyone see this or know what the heck happened?

1 dead, 6 injured after 2 boats collide off LI coast: police

(Note: there are a few different videos and pictures attached to this link, not just the one that comes up first. You get a better view of the boat in the second video.)

LONG ISLAND — One person is dead and six are injured after two boats collided off the coast of Freeport on Long Island Saturday night, according to police.

Authorities say the call came in at 7 p.m. for two boats that collided at around 6:30 p.m. One of the boats was driving at high rate of speed when they collided and the other boat was split in half.

There were jet skiers in the area who heard the crash and came to the rescue, helping to pull some people out of the water.

Four victims had minor injuries and two sustained serious trauma, police said. A 25-year-old man suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at a hospital, according to police.

Nassau County police are investigating. No arrests have been made.

Editor's note: Police initially said seven people were injured.
We basically got waked every 5-10 minutes yesterday. No rhyme or reason either. We weren’t in or near a channel. Lots of inexperienced boaters out there. Probably more then ever.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
It's cray up here too. This morning VHF was full of CG traffic. Party Boat fire down in Boston, name of boat had "Patriot" in it, and capsized boat with person in water off of Nantucket.

Truly amateur hour out there...

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
I recorded a piece for the podcast the other day and in it I mention the issue with so many inexperienced boaters. Many people don't realize that boat sales are through the roof with many makes and models not available until next year.

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoppkorv