Any Questions For NYSDEC Marine Enforcement?

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Hello All of you New York Anglers!

My next podcast will feature a Lieutenant for the Marine Enforcement Division.

If you have any questions you'd like included please post them here. I don't want it to be combative, but if you have a question you can post it here or go to newyorkfishingpodcast.com and click on the ask a question and we might play it on the podcast.

Thanks to the many listeners and support we have received.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
(Even though I don't target stripers except in the fall with tins and plugs from the beach), what is the DEC view regarding the use of Gulp and/or pork rind while eschewing circle hooks on leadhead jigs (and targeting weaks and fluke.)

tjd2320

New Angler
Apr 26, 2020
Regs state non-offset circle hooks must be used when fishing for striped bass with live or dead natural bait. Does not apply to lures as far as I can see. It would probably be good to get a straight answer on this matter.

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Might seem like a minor point, but I renewed my N.Y. saltwater registry today by phone, & was told they no longer mail a hard copy but instead send an e mail that can be printed. The question is can that paper document be laminated for protection against the wet environment.
John

Reactions: jpd

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
Might seem like a minor point, but I renewed my N.Y. saltwater registry today by phone, & was told they no longer mail a hard copy but instead send an e mail that can be printed. The question is can that paper document be laminated for protection against the wet environment.
John
I can't see why not. Worse case, take a picture on your phone and show them that if questioned.

tjd2320

New Angler
Apr 26, 2020
Print it and buy lamination sheets. I get 4"x6" sheets from Amazon. Not too pricey. The phone idea is a good one too.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Do what I do with all my emailed documents, save them as a PDF on a computer so you've always got them, keep the PDF on your phone AND in the case of little "cards" like my COVID vaccination card, do the "Piker Lamination by covering them front and back with good quality, thick, clear packing tape, and trim to size. They last forever sitting in my wallet.

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
John
I have put stuff like that in a zip lock bag. Double it if you are really concerned. Never had an issue.

Reactions: Roccus7

jpd

Staff member
Dec 24, 2018
John

Renewed mine yesterday as well, always on April 1st. (y)

poorrichard

New Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Can anything be done about all the commercial blackfish traps on the old Shoreham pipeline?

You cant even anchor on the spot anymore due to all the traps. Last year there were almost 100 traps at one point
during the fall season. Nowhere for the rec's to fish anymore.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Can anything be done about all the commercial blackfish traps on the old Shoreham pipeline?

You cant even anchor on the spot anymore due to all the traps. Last year there were almost 100 traps at one point
during the fall season. Nowhere for the rec's to fish anymore.
I couldn't agree with you more and I addressed it in this podcast. That is a management issue. This podcast is about enforcement.

OVERBORED

New Angler
Jan 6, 2021
Is there an age cutoff for the fishing resgistry? My dad is 91 and still fishes from shore. Does he really need to register???

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
He does discuss something I never knew and that's as soon as a mate takes possession of a fish in any way ie: filleting, keeping them in an ice bucket, the legality of the fish is then put on the boat.
Yes sir. That’s why when a customer tries to hide shorts I refuse to cut them and dump them over.

Reactions: Chinacat

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
When you are targeting something you are in tune with the regs on that species pretty good. DEC guys don't always know what exactly you are doing or what the details are on the regs for what you are doing and whether you are commercial or rec...they have a general idea but I have seen them actually informed on what was what by the operator in my three commercial boardings and one rec boarding.....never a violation but it is still nerve racking because your mind races , did you do this or did you do that. There was an officer in Montauk Joe Bilotto.....he knew his chit

Reactions: BennyV

OVERBORED

New Angler
Jan 6, 2021
I have always found local DEC officers professional and non-confrontational. They are just doing their job.

Might not be under DEC jurisdiction but One question that has always bothered me, Prior to 9/11, small boats were allowed to fish in and around various bridges on the south shore. Understandably, that was eliminated.

Is it time to revisit that restriction?

Reactions: george

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James