AR15s in NY

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Recently more than one acquaintance has discussed buying one and while there is a lot of information on what is legal and what is not on the shooting websites I frequent, I realized that I have never posted anything about it here. Just before Cuomo's SAFE Act took effect (Jan. 2013) I sold three semi auto rifles to different LEOs (having been in the 'industry 'for most of my federal career I am not a fan of what constitutes a NICS "background check" and decided not to sell to ordinary folks for my own peace of mind) in order to cut my losses in the eventuality that they became illegal or a hassle to own, keeping just three that I still have. One is the ubiquitous AR15, mine being a Bushmaster with a match trigger, floating bull barrel but no flash suppressor or child killing bayonet lug. (Yes, sarcasm.) This website from the NYSP is helpful but a little incomplete: New York State Police SAFE Act Field Guide | Assault Weapon | Crimes
There are exceptions for active LEOs and even retired LEOS but they have to "requalify."

I took the liberty of excising line-outs etc. from the original SAFE act and if anyone wants, will email them a copy (its 76 pages.)

In order to avoid having to register my AR which automatically precludes it being left to my son when I croak, I removed the pistol grip and replaced it with a harder to handle "riflegrip.com" which was made by a former upstate Border Patrol gent who unfortunately does not sell them anymore. Since my AR had no bayo lug, or flash suppressor, or threaded barrel or collapsing stock, by removing the pistol grip I was left with just the one allowable "evil feature", the detachable magazine feature. Others wanting to keep those evil features had to eliminate the detachable mag feature which to me was "a bridge too far." (Keep in mind that all magazines are now limited by law in NY to just ten rounds, and I sold off nearly twenty 30 rounders out of state or to LEOs, to include the over ten round mags I had for an M1 Carbine and one of my pistols.)
The following is the NY website for SAFE:
While I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few years ago, I am not a lawyer and one must rely on themselves to determine legality. Keep in mind that what I am posting is for NY, NOT joisey, not CT, etc. If POTUS goes Democrat, rest assured the restrictions above will go nation-wide, and possibly be worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avenger

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
Recently more than one acquaintance has discussed buying one and while there is a lot of information on what is legal and what is not on the shooting websites I frequent, I realized that I have never posted anything about it here. Just before Cuomo's SAFE Act took effect (Jan. 2013) I sold three semi auto rifles to different LEOs (having been in the 'industry 'for most of my federal career I am not a fan of what constitutes a NICS "background check" and decided not to sell to ordinary folks for my own peace of mind) in order to cut my losses in the eventuality that they became illegal or a hassle to own, keeping just three that I still have. One is the ubiquitous AR15, mine being a Bushmaster with a match trigger, floating bull barrel but no flash suppressor or child killing bayonet lug. (Yes, sarcasm.) This website from the NYSP is helpful but a little incomplete: New York State Police SAFE Act Field Guide | Assault Weapon | Crimes
There are exceptions for active LEOs and even retired LEOS but they have to "requalify."

I took the liberty of excising line-outs etc. from the original SAFE act and if anyone wants, will email them a copy (its 76 pages.)

In order to avoid having to register my AR which automatically precludes it being left to my son when I croak, I removed the pistol grip and replaced it with a harder to handle "riflegrip.com" which was made by a former upstate Border Patrol gent who unfortunately does not sell them anymore. Since my AR had no bayo lug, or flash suppressor, or threaded barrel or collapsing stock, by removing the pistol grip I was left with just the one allowable "evil feature", the detachable magazine feature. Others wanting to keep those evil features had to eliminate the detachable mag feature which to me was "a bridge too far." (Keep in mind that all magazines are now limited by law in NY to just ten rounds, and I sold off nearly twenty 30 rounders out of state or to LEOs, to include the over ten round mags I had for an M1 Carbine and one of my pistols.)
The following is the NY website for SAFE:
While I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few years ago, I am not a lawyer and one must rely on themselves to determine legality. Keep in mind that what I am posting is for NY, NOT joisey, not CT, etc. If POTUS goes Democrat, rest assured the restrictions above will go nation-wide, and possibly be worse.
Thanks for the info! I’m sure all the bad guys in NY state are making sure their firearms are compliant lol.

Reactions: Avenger

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
Ive always wanted one of them
Solid platform.

That’s the problem in this state. These politicians toot their own horns on the legislature they pass against firearms.

Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the country and how’s that going?

Gang related shootout in Queens over the weekend - 4 shot. Handgun is the culprit there. Are handguns next to get the boot? And God forbid the cops get to do any broken windows policing in the city.

It’s a slippery slope.

You want to see what the purge looks life in real life? Wait a few years and turn on any news channel that covers NYC.

Reactions: Togilator

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Do a LOT of research before buying a mini14. They are NOT tack drivers, and the mags are pretty expensive as well, costing twice what an AR15 mag costs. You are still limited to just ten round mags, and with a semi auto you will want more than just two or three. Some years are more accurate, can't remember which as I was never interested in them. ( I qualified with an M16 and would sneak away from the pistol range to "help" shoot up the leftover 5.56 ammo lol.)
Annnndddd, if a demoncrap gets in in 2020, rest assured there will be "problems" for ALL semi autos with detachable mags, maybe even Garands with the clip (and a much more powerful round!)

Reactions: BennyV

Randy

New Angler
Apr 9, 2019
Shinnecock, NY
Ive always wanted one of them
Do a LOT of research before buying a mini14. They are NOT tack drivers, and the mags are pretty expensive as well, costing twice what an AR15 mag costs. You are still limited to just ten round mags, and with a semi auto you will want more than just two or three. Some years are more accurate, can't remember which as I was never interested in them. ( I qualified with an M16 and would sneak away from the pistol range to "help" shoot up the leftover 5.56 ammo lol.)
Annnndddd, if a demoncrap gets in in 2020, rest assured there will be "problems" for ALL semi autos with detachable mags, maybe even Garands with the clip (and a much more powerful round!)
They want to a heavier barrel in 2010 I think, made a difference in accuracy BUT even those when hot the MOA gets big. Mags are expensive and the only reliable ones are from Ruger. It is a non descript platform for 5.56. It is also a PIA to clean. Bolt out OK, get Bourbon for bolt in!!!

Reactions: BennyV

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
You can buy a fully configured AR15 legally in NY if the magazine is welded in and can't be removed. Surprised no gun companies are making that modification and selling in NY. That's what I read online, make sure it's legal before you buy.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
anyone wants the 76 page SAFE Act from 2013 with amendments I have them in Word docs and will frwd to your email. (Admittedly it is or could be a bit subjective to a police officer or statie however as to what constitutes a pistol grip.) I sold one AR just before the unSAFE Act kicked in, but to a LEO, and the one I kept, once I swapped the pistol grip for a riflegrip.com (like the spur if you know ARs) was legal with a detachable mag and did not require registration as there are no other "evil features, you know those things that all the thugs use to rob 7-11s like expandable stocks, threaded barrel, muzzle brake, flash hider, bayonet lugs, etc. I just can not see what the use of having an Armalite Rifle (what AR stands for) that does not have the ability to swap mags. Many of those with fixed (weld not required) mags are jam-o-matics, all for someone to look "cool ? Not for me, especially now that mags are limited to ten rounds.
and look for federal laws to start to mirror Kalifornia and Newyorkistan.

• Sad
Reactions: Chevy1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sfishing2000