Are you ready for spring!

Cover off and still some snow on the ground; reminds me of the days when Flounder fishing on St. Patty's Day was the rule. Even if it meant shoveling the deck before leaving the slip!!!:)

These days I am actually happy to wait until the Scup arrive on May 1 so I can do all my prep during the much more comfortable days in April. Darn, showing my age once again!!!!!!

Mar 4, 2019
Glendale NY
Main reason for my early start is the "new to me" motor. I mounted it last fall and started it up in my driveway, but havn't had a chance to run it in H2O yet.
Hopefully by end of march I can get on the water for a test run. 👍
I did that in November blew my Evinrudes and found a nice pair of Mercs. hauled the boat and installed and rigged them enough to get them running.had the yard put it back in the water I ran it back to my slip and covered it.I been finishing the rigging over the winter.I have a few things left to do after the cover comes off.

20201104_142434_Burst01 (2).jpg
New to me engines.

Reactions: DarthBaiter
Took advantage of the milder sunny weather this past Wednesday and took all the rods out on the front porch for a good bath. Scrubbed all the bait and gurve off the handles, washed all the rods, then finished with 2 coats of wax. Spent all afternoon giving the "tools of the trade" some love and it felt great.

Now only 3 weeks until the cover comes off and the serious spring maintenance begins. If all goes well I expect to be floating by April 26. I can almost taste it!!!

rodsheavy3521.jpgrodslight3521.jpg

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Took advantage of the milder sunny weather this past Wednesday and took all the rods out on the front porch for a good bath. Scrubbed all the bait and gurve off the handles, washed all the rods, then finished with 2 coats of wax. Spent all afternoon giving the "tools of the trade" some love and it felt great.

Now only 3 weeks until the cover comes off and the serious spring maintenance begins. If all goes well I expect to be floating by April 26. I can almost taste it!!!

View attachment 31696View attachment 31697
Ummmm, strange to say but “Nice Rack” Capt. 😜😎
Am I correct in thinking thats a double sided set up and you showed a shot of each side?
Tough to tell on my phone screen

Very clever, Mitch.
And you are correct, one side are my heavy to medium weight sticks while the other side are the lighter, inshore weapons.

I must also admit there is another "Rack" down in my basement with a host of back up rods. Yes, I am a very sick guy with a serious addiction to tackle!:)

Reactions: Chinacat

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
I haven't started on my boat repairs/make-ready yet, unlike previous seasons. Meniscus surgery on one knee and multiple injections of Orthovisc into the other has me side-lined for another few weeks. This year I'm itchin' to get started. . . for a change. And there's plenty to do on the old girl. Me and the boat ain't gettin' any younger, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

To pass the extremely boring time, I've rigged all my most-used Spring porgy and Summer-time fluke setups - all set and ready to go!

rods.jpg

Man, I gotta get a handle on my garage. 36 years of Corvette and Boat crapola cluttering up the place. Its the exactly opposite of how I keep the boat. Priorities, priorities!

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
I miss my prep with my friend Steve who moved to Delaware. He called me over to his house to make some rigs and service our reels. When I got there there was a bottle of bourbon on the table and two glasses. Between the stories he told and the bourbon it was the best preparation session I can remember.

Mar 4, 2019
Glendale NY
I haven't started on my boat repairs/make-ready yet, unlike previous seasons. Meniscus surgery on one knee and multiple injections of Orthovisc into the other has me side-lined for another few weeks. This year I'm itchin' to get started. . . for a change. And there's plenty to do on the old girl. Me and the boat ain't gettin' any younger, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

To pass the extremely boring time, I've rigged all my most-used Spring porgy and fluke setups - all set and ready to go!

View attachment 31742

Man, I gotta get a handle on my garage. 36 years of Corvette and Boat crapola cluttering up the place. Its the exactly opposite of how I keep the boat. Priorities, priorities!
Feel better! I went thru that in 2008 wound up getting total knee replacement in 2009 Had it done in February was able to get on the boat to fish with a little discomfort in april.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Still about 10 days before I remove the shrink wrap but I looked at the calendar today and saw tomorrow is the first day of Spring.
So, I did a very brave (stupid?) thing; I moved took my snow shovels back down to the basement!!:)
Hope I didn't jinx anything.
Bringing the boat to the yard Monday, so I'll be removing the plow stakes today, another "dangerous" move...

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Rods, reels, tackle pretty much all ready to go.
Not planning on taking shrink wrap off for a couple of weeks yet
Last night I did hit HD for a roller sleeve, tape, cheap throw away brush and some other assorted paint supplies to be ready to go
I usually cut the shrink wrap back a bit to do the bottom paint 1st before taking it all off

The goal is to be ready in time for Peconic spring porgies!

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elrockk