At 1 fish a day, it will take sometime to fill the freezer...

Area: Offshore

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Yummy how are the Cod worms up there?

Depends, the area I've been fishing this week is pretty good, some fish will have none, some will have a few, but never more than 5 or 6 in a fish. If I fish inside the bay I, some of the fish can have over a dozen.

Interesting thing was yesterday's fish, which only had 2 worms in the fillets, had a dozen in the liver, go figure. At Chez Roccus, we have a 3-phase worm and errant bone inspection:
  1. During the filleting process
  2. As the fish are packaged
  3. When the fish are taken out of package prior to cooking
It's rare the the 3rd inspection finds problems that weren't picked up on the first two...

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
Depends, the area I've been fishing this week is pretty good, some fish will have none, some will have a few, but never more than 5 or 6 in a fish. If I fish inside the bay I, some of the fish can have over a dozen.

Interesting thing was yesterday's fish, which only had 2 worms in the fillets, had a dozen in the liver, go figure. At Chez Roccus, we have a 3-phase worm and errant bone inspection:
  1. During the filleting process
  2. As the fish are packaged
  3. When the fish are taken out of package prior to cooking
It's rare the the 3rd inspection finds problems that weren't picked up on the first two...
I use to hate when they were loaded with them pluck em or chuck em was a tough call

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I heard that the resident fish tend to have more worms then the green cod that move in from the ocean. Not sure how correct that is.

IMO it's relatively true. The higher the seal concentration, the greater the chance of infection.

That being said, I've pulled worms out of fish caught 20 miles offshore so there's no "safe" distance.

Reactions: Chevy1

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbysea