Bait.....what's going on?

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
first how many worms approx in a flat of sandworms? 2ND What is going on with clams?? I s there a shortage? the price is 100 a bushel of shucked?

Capt Richie

Angler
Feb 16, 2019
I cant remember the last time I used worms...on the other hand one of our local long time clam boats is leaving...from what I understand clam beds are empty ...he cant make a living ..

I buy in bulk wholesale ,,and its not much cheaper than 100 ...I can see it going higher 140.00 a bushel .

Reactions: movetheboat

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
thanks...well the flat is 10 dozen..65.00 bucks

It's always something with the for hires...WIND...COVID...FUEL...BAIT ....REGS.......IT TAINT EASY

Capt Richie

Angler
Feb 16, 2019
I heard it might have had something to do with processing plants closed due to covid outbreaks. Who knows.
one of the processing plants I know is leaving to NC...do to lack of clams off the south shore of LI...

I haven't use clams since they were 20 dollars a bushel ..clams tend to attract every fish aka doggies ..a jig tipped with a spearing or squid strip will catch every fish I target and keep the doggies at bay..

both spearing & squid was up a bit last year ...but I'm still paying a lot less than tackle store prices ..

Reactions: Roccus7

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
Porgys are thick these daYS because it's not worth commercial pin hooking with prices for bait ...chum...ice. In the old days there was a porgy fleet in Montauk

Reactions: BennyV
Porgys are thick these daYS because it's not worth commercial pin hooking with prices for bait ...chum...ice. In the old days there was a porgy fleet in Montauk
How right you are MTB. I recall the Flying Cloud out of Montauk, skippered by Fred Bird. I think the name came from the Cloud of "Porgy Scales" that would surround the stern as the mates cleaned the days catch on the way in!:ROFLMAO:

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
Maybe I'll buy a clam rake and dig some up at Jones Beach. $100 a bushel ???? One time I walked along Jones Beach and the entire shoreline was covered with fresh skimmer clams after the sand washed away. Rushed home , got my clam knife and went back and shucked a whole five gallon bucket of clams . The clams are probably right along the surf line . I think the state charges a fee to clam the beach.

Reactions: movetheboat

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
How right you are MTB. I recall the Flying Cloud out of Montauk, skippered by Fred Bird. I think the name came from the Cloud of "Porgy Scales" that would surround the stern as the mates cleaned the days catch on the way in!:ROFLMAO:
Flying Cloud was the name of a 19th Century Clipper Ship. My father looked in an old book about 19th Century Sailing Ships and found the name of his new boat.

Flying Cloud was the name of a 19th Century Clipper Ship. My father looked in an old book about 19th Century Sailing Ships and found the name of his new boat.
My comment was a joke, of course, but I do appreciate the history lesson as to the true origin of the name.

Back in the early 80's I kept my 24' Grady White at Port of Egypt and during that time there used to be fish cleaning tables right next to where the old fishing station was located. During Porgy season back then you literally would see a huge cloud of scales hovering over the tables! Absolutely true!!

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
I fished the flying cloud many times.....sometimes with one of the best Fred Shay who would consistently nail 150 porgys a trip......also pulled porgys for Richie Rade and for my pinhooker friend Jimmy for 20 years

You are correct, MTB, Fred Shay is/was (?) legendary. So was Richie's brother, Johnny Rade.

About 35 years ago I was on a winter Cod Trip out of Montauk and I recall it was a pretty good day. Most anglers had 3-4 fish in their bags. I had 9 and thought I was pretty sharp. But, I was watching this guy in the bow a few feet away from me just wailing on the Cod, literally filling a couple of bushel baskets by days end himself. I did not know who this guy was until I asked the mate and he told me it was Johnny Rade. Hard to beat a guy who fishes professionally as a pinhooker!

movetheboat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 29, 2018
Johnny was the best bottom fisherman around.....He knew exactly where to be and when,,,saw him many times when I was in Inlet Seafood where we both went out of .

johnachak

New Angler
Nov 27, 2020
Maybe I'll buy a clam rake and dig some up at Jones Beach. $100 a bushel ???? One time I walked along Jones Beach and the entire shoreline was covered with fresh skimmer clams after the sand washed away. Rushed home , got my clam knife and went back and shucked a whole five gallon bucket of clams . The clams are probably right along the surf line . I think the state charges a fee to clam the beach.
You need a Shellfish license. Which I paid for. Please don't poach

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James