Bass and Blues

Area: Western Sound

Matts

Angler
Feb 11, 2019
Port Washington
I had a fun day of chunking a few days ago. Plenty of old slot size bass and the first daytime bluefish bite I've had in years. I eventually had to switch to wire, as I was losing too many hooks.
Most of the blues were 10#+, with the largest hitting 16 on the Boga. I think the competition from the blues makes the bass more feisty, as all the pickups were bluefish speed and the fights seemed more zig zag than normal. Maybe blues come at hooked bass to investigate what's going on and cause them to change direction, or maybe its all in my head?
I know they're a pain when you're bassing, but I hope they're still around in July and August.

I had a fun day of chunking a few days ago. Plenty of old slot size bass and the first daytime bluefish bite I've had in years. I eventually had to switch to wire, as I was losing too many hooks.
Most of the blues were 10#+, with the largest hitting 16 on the Boga. I think the competition from the blues makes the bass more feisty, as all the pickups were bluefish speed and the fights seemed more zig zag than normal. Maybe blues come at hooked bass to investigate what's going on and cause them to change direction, or maybe its all in my head?
I know they're a pain when you're bassing, but I hope they're still around in July and August.
Blue fish are a blast to catch. And good eats if prepared right.
Sounds like a fun trip👍🏻👍🏻

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danon8855