Best time for Steelhead in NY?

flounderjoe

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
call 1-800-248-4386 oswegofish will keep you informed with the latest oswego and pulaski fishing reports .very helpful keeps us downstaters in touch with whats going on.

Reactions: FredAZaiter

flounderjoe

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Planing a trip up after a couple of days deer hunting upstate nov 18th till the21st.I like to wait till all the salmon madness is over then go back up when there is a short warming trend in late dec or jan

Jan 10, 2019
Should be great then. I go usually on columbus day for a couple days. Its not nearly as bad as the holiday weekend. We keep saying we want to come back in Dec or Jan for steelhead but we never make it back.

Stevepanther

New Angler
Apr 5, 2019
I miss fishing up there my grandparents used to live 20 minutes west of sodus bay. We used to get huge browns and steelhead mixed together right around Christmas time in the small tributaries around there. I did one trip with a guide and we fished the warm water outflow by the nuclear plant and it was the most amazing freshwater fishing I’ve ever seen. It has been closed since sept 11th I would love to go back

SoCalFishMan

New Angler
Jan 10, 2019
I used to fish it in Dec/Jan/Feb. Amazing in that there isn't a ton of pressure but man it's COLD and there aren't a ton of fish. You work your butt off few bites most days.

SoCalFishMan

New Angler
Jan 10, 2019
come jan and feb that is true .you earn your bites then the hardest part is keeping confortable enough to concentrate

It's BRUTALLY cold for sure. The worst part is standing in the river. That water is freezing.

I actually had a horror story up there in Feb. I was fishing the preserve above School House pool and finally hooked a fish. The fish went down river and as I was chasing him down I cut my boot on something in the river and my waders filled up. I was 19 so I didn't have the good sense to forget about the fish and kept fighting it. I eventually lost it and by the time I got out of the river I couldn't feel my foot at all. That was a LONG climb up the bank and back to the car. By the time I got to the car my foot had started to turn black. My buddy took me to the hospital where I had frost bite. I was super lucky I didn't loose my foot. When I finally started to get feeling back man that burning is something I'll never forget. To this day that foot is a nightmare if I'm snowboarding or fishing in the cold.

All that being said being up there with snow all over everything, no sound at all, no people around and the chance at the only fresh water fish worth catching IMO is truly magical.

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
It's BRUTALLY cold for sure. The worst part is standing in the river. That water is freezing.

I actually had a horror story up there in Feb. I was fishing the preserve above School House pool and finally hooked a fish. The fish went down river and as I was chasing him down I cut my boot on something in the river and my waders filled up. I was 19 so I didn't have the good sense to forget about the fish and kept fighting it. I eventually lost it and by the time I got out of the river I couldn't feel my foot at all. That was a LONG climb up the bank and back to the car. By the time I got to the car my foot had started to turn black. My buddy took me to the hospital where I had frost bite. I was super lucky I didn't loose my foot. When I finally started to get feeling back man that burning is something I'll never forget. To this day that foot is a nightmare if I'm snowboarding or fishing in the cold.

All that being said being up there with snow all over everything, no sound at all, no people around and the chance at the only fresh water fish worth catching IMO is truly magical.
All I can say is wow

flounderjoe

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Guess you gotta freeze your #%$@ off to catch steelhead.Very tough fishing on the salmon river the last 3 days beautiful weather near 50 every day between thw bluebird weather and the bit of runoff from snow melting turned them off.For me one brown trout and a swing and a long distance release on a looked like preety bright steelhead .Checked out the wall in oswego not much happening there either .Next time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph ruopoli