Blackfish

Area: Eastern Sound

live bait

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Got an early start this morning, 10 N/E & the ebbing tide made for a little chop but not bad, had some new bottom I wanted to try. Wind against tide always makes keeping the boat on the numbers difficult, for me anyway. Each new spot I tried had life, but all very short blackfish & sea bass. Went back to some bottom that has produced in the past & was not disappointed, no sea monsters, but a limit of blackfish to 4lbs. Bright sunny day with 68 deg air temp, & 67 deg water temp, a flat sound after the tide changed, sure didn't feel like togging. Beautiful October day on the water.
John

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Nice Job John!!
I'm guessing you launched from Mattituck to be remain within the sound region with fish on board?

Reactions: george

live bait

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I did, Friday I’ll go East. I don’t know if it’s correct or not but someone posted a chart on another site & drew a line from orient to watch hill RI & it looked like most of the north side of Plum would have been within bounds.....John

Reactions: george and Chinacat

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
That's a great picture and I think spot on.
The reason I asked is because I recently reached out to Capt Mike for clarification if that that line ends at Orient or extends thru peconic putting the line thru Robins Island somewhere maybe.
He graciously explained and clarified it ends at Orient so the peconics are not in the sound region

Reactions: george