Block Island Fluke to 12 Pounds Plus Insane Surprise Hook-Up

Area: Offshore

NoFlukenName

Angler
Apr 1, 2019
Got my regular customer Rob and his group out to Block Sunday and we had just an absolutely insane day. Like often happens when fluke fishing, most of the fish came in spurts. We finished with a boat limit plus (ORL) highlighted by Rob's 12 pound, 31 inch fish which he released and a surprise white marlin hook-up that we almost boated - I chased him with Rob at the reel for 7 minutes and got him a few feet from boat when he sprinted hard under the boat and cut the braid on the hull.

Only negative on this day was the fuel. I run out of Greenport and it's close to 50 miles each way. We did a lot of running on this day and fuel burn was over 100 gallons. Still worth it :)

Block has been on fire. We had a 10 (also released) the Friday before this. Would have been there Saturday too if the weather cooperated in the morning.

IMG_0039.jpgIMG_0046 (2).jpg

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018
NoFlukeName thats how you do it (y) ,, nice going capt and crew8-),,, keeper the reports comming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ><))):>
><))):>

Reactions: NoFlukenName
Got my regular customer Rob and his group out to Block Sunday and we had just an absolutely insane day. Like often happens when fluke fishing, most of the fish came in spurts. We finished with a boat limit plus (ORL) highlighted by Rob's 12 pound, 31 inch fish which he released and a surprise white marlin hook-up that we almost boated - I chased him with Rob at the reel for 7 minutes and got him a few feet from boat when he sprinted hard under the boat and cut the braid on the hull.

Only negative on this day was the fuel. I run out of Greenport and it's close to 50 miles each way. We did a lot of running on this day and fuel burn was over 100 gallons. Still worth it :)

Block has been on fire. We had a 10 (also released) the Friday before this. Would have been there Saturday too if the weather cooperated in the morning.

View attachment 52637View attachment 52638
Hey John, again you find the big ones, gonna have to call u usul from Dune lol.
We never made it, we were all set to go, had the boat packed up everything was ready, a rookie move put the screws to our trip and cost me big bucks to resolve the mistake. Had both sons going on top of it and I feel bad that it was my fault and it was, I put new side marker lights on the trailer and never tested them, I just ASSumed they were ok. That night we started the truck up to let it warm up, turned the trailer lights on and ended up burning up the trailering harness on my Tundra, and fuse box what a mess.
One of the new lights I put in the lead wire grounded out against the frame. stupid, stupid, stupid, not to check them.
I new instantly what it was but it was too late, damage was done, in vain I tried to bypass the wiring and get the trailer lights working but it also burned out the harness in the trailer, man am I mad at myself, I knew it was going to be a good day too. Took me 3 days to rebuilt it, all is good now, hoping to get in a couple more.
Jay

NoFlukenName

Angler
Apr 1, 2019
Hey John, again you find the big ones, gonna have to call u usul from Dune lol.
We never made it, we were all set to go, had the boat packed up everything was ready, a rookie move put the screws to our trip and cost me big bucks to resolve the mistake. Had both sons going on top of it and I feel bad that it was my fault and it was, I put new side marker lights on the trailer and never tested them, I just ASSumed they were ok. That night we started the truck up to let it warm up, turned the trailer lights on and ended up burning up the trailering harness on my Tundra, and fuse box what a mess.
One of the new lights I put in the lead wire grounded out against the frame. stupid, stupid, stupid, not to check them.
I new instantly what it was but it was too late, damage was done, in vain I tried to bypass the wiring and get the trailer lights working but it also burned out the harness in the trailer, man am I mad at myself, I knew it was going to be a good day too. Took me 3 days to rebuilt it, all is good now, hoping to get in a couple more.
Jay
Oh man, that’s unfortunate Jay. Weather looks promising this weekend and hopefully you and your boys can still make it out,

Oh man, that’s unfortunate Jay. Weather looks promising this weekend and hopefully you and your boys can still make it out,
It does look good, unfortunately My younger son just took his younger son up to Southern State this morning, he's starting his freshman year.
My older son has to work and can't get out of it.
I may jump on the 7 B's unless I can get a volunteer that wants to go to Rhode Island and help with putting gas in the truck, it's all gassed up and ready to go.
Pm me if anybody is interested.
Jay

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
It does look good, unfortunately My younger son just took his younger son up to Southern State this morning, he's starting his freshman year.
My older son has to work and can't get out of it.
I may jump on the 7 B's unless I can get a volunteer that wants to go to Rhode Island and help with putting gas in the truck, it's all gassed up and ready to go.
Pm me if anybody is interested.
Jay
And I'm gonna be in CT NEXT weekend to drop my son off at UConn....

And I'm gonna be in CT NEXT weekend to drop my son off at UConn....
Hey Drew, next weekend is not a problem provided the weather holds out, my grandson is all set, txt me and asked if I had a 12 foot ethernet cable, I told him you don't need it, they have wifi, he said no, I said I know they do, I've been in that school numerous times picking up equipment.
I made him a 15 foot patch cable just to be sure.
Uconn nice, my grandson Zac got a soccer scholarship for southern, 20k for 4 yrs, so I paid half wanted to give my son a break since his divorce 14yrs ago his x has been raking him over the coals.
Maybe we can meet up on your side of the pond for bass or tog, let me know if that's doable?
Jay

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccny73