Brianna's Law

poorrichard

New Angler
Jan 17, 2019
I am a NY State Safe Boating Instructor. The law (Brianna's Law) will require everyone who wants to operate a boat in NY State to attend a safe boating class.

Classes are 8 hours and can be done in one session, or broken up over several dates.
The NY State Class is 15 Chapters of material. This provides basic information for the novice boater, and a review for the seasoned boater.

I am teaching three classes in June-all in Suffolk County. If anyone needs information on the locations please PM me. I will forward my class schedule for June

This class also certifies anyone age 14 or older to operate a PWC-JET SKI in NY Waters

Reactions: Capt13

live bait

New Angler
Dec 20, 2018
A number of years ago when this came around last time, quite a few gals & guys, including me, took an online boating course given by Boats US, I wonder if that would qualify now.
John

WhatKnot

New Angler
May 18, 2019
A number of years ago when this came around last time, quite a few gals & guys, including me, took an online boating course given by Boats US, I wonder if that would qualify now.
John
I took the Coast Guard Safety Course 40 years ago and still have the certificate. I wonder if that would satisfy the requirement?

Macks

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
I took the Coast Guard Safety Course 40 years ago and still have the certificate. I wonder if that would satisfy the requirement?
It's my understanding the on line course is recognized for boating but not pwc..

Macks

Angler
Jan 17, 2019
Hey Macks - you're going to have to take the Virginia Boating Safety Course - pass it & get a license to operate down here once you settle here.
Yes I'm aware of that,probably gonna have a boat before we move down there if we do,I think an on line course satisfies there requirement also but not sure..

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
So I'm operating a boat for 45 years and now I'm going to have to take a class
Yes, in the feeble minds of your State Legislature and Governor, you are a menace to society until you get "edumacated"!!

Like everything else, there IS a Workaround. Just get a driver's license in a different state.

Reactions: Avenger

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
Whats wrong with a refresher course ? I have my 100 ton masters and if this becomes law, I'll sit for the course.

Reactions: pequa1

Avenger

Angler
Jan 29, 2019
Again, the problem is not the education. I've taken the class a couple of times now and will probably sit through it again with my kid. I think the class itself is a good idea. The problem is with the mandate. It's just another aspect of creeping government getting more and more control over our lives. The water was one of the few places where that was at least somewhat limited. And now a bunch of people are falling all over themselves to bring more intrusion and regulation thinking it's a good idea.

What was that thing about the pavement on the road to hell?

Tigashrk

New Angler
Mar 3, 2019
Whats wrong with a refresher course ? I have my 100 ton masters and if this becomes law, I'll sit for the course.
Capt13, your required to take the course if you have a 100 ton Master license or you just taking it to take it?

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
Again, the problem is not the education. I've taken the class a couple of times now and will probably sit through it again with my kid. I think the class itself is a good idea. The problem is with the mandate. It's just another aspect of creeping government getting more and more control over our lives. The water was one of the few places where that was at least somewhat limited. And now a bunch of people are falling all over themselves to bring more intrusion and regulation thinking it's a good idea.

What was that thing about the pavement on the road to hell?
They're not getting more control over your life. They are attemping in the only way possible to make the water a bit safer.

my mother taught herself & was driving a car at the age of 13 without taking tests or getting a license - that doesn't mean it was a good thing

You need to take tests & classes for driving - why not boating?

I sit through a Safe Driving Course every 18 months to qualify for a discount on my insurance. I've been driving for more then 50 years. Do I get anything out of it other then the insurance discount? Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

I don't know what all the hub bub is about other then bruising a few egos.

Last edited:

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
I have gotten a 100 each time I have taken the course and the photo is one I had taken with our councilman in the 70s, (whose son is now our town supervisor) for top score. I have taken the course twice since, but this USCGA course was the best, with navigation, horn signals and lights, and knot tying included. The police and an online course pale by comparison. Some of you "decades in boating" afraid of a challenge LOL ? If so, take it online.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: WhatKnot

Fishing Nerd

New Angler
Apr 3, 2019
So I'm operating a boat for 45 years and now I'm going to have to take a class
It's for your own good - not for you, but for the guy whose buddy just gave him an old boat he didn't want anymore and he's about to go steaming out of the inlet at 30 knots while texting on his cell phone with 14 other people on the boat.

If these classes can knock some sense into that population, we're all better off, even if it means some aggravation up front.

Capt13

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Smithtown
Again, the problem is not the education. I've taken the class a couple of times now and will probably sit through it again with my kid. I think the class itself is a good idea. The problem is with the mandate. It's just another aspect of creeping government getting more and more control over our lives.................
I think the mandate is necessary because those who need it the most are the same ones who would never think to take the cg aux course.

live bait

New Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I think after all said and done all the old salts will be grandfathered in..
Isn't that what happened the last time this came around. If I remember their is a " If you were born after year " you must take the course. I think being born in 1947 I just made it under the cut.
John

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gep347