Buddy caught dinner, not me !

Area: Debs/Jones

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Finally got the old boat out for the first time this year and the '99 SeaPro DC180 with its original Yammy C-90 ran just fine. Going by the forecast (why I do that I don't know) I planned back bay and spots we could fluke fish to hide from the terrible east wind predicted. Fished all over the north side of the bay in 'Pequa, getting a short here and there but Vinnie got the lone keeper, using white Gulp on bare hooks where my "kayak rigs", personally and exquisitely tied bucktail hair and pink silicone skirts on 3/4 oz lead heads with white and pink Gulp got half as many shorts and no keepers. Good to see my buddy who moved over the winter to Ridge and sold his own boat while making the move. The wind (S or maybe SSE) did get a bit stronger after we fished for over 4 hours on both sides of the flood. I did use a drift sock to decent effect the last hour or so as the current with wind in almost the same direction, really moved us along. Back to the yak for me tomorrow morning.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
learned a lesson as I was stubborn and refused to put down my light rod and reel with its 3/4oz jig while buddy upped to a 2 ounces sinker below his Gulp. I have been fairly successful with my setup all along BUT THAT WAS ON THE KAYAK and realize now that I was not on the bottom yesterday except when the tide was slack which is when I caught the only sizeable short. Since I use different tackle bag/box on yak vs. boats, I need to insure none of the light stuff is used on the boat next time.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Sure enough, in two hours this morning on the Skimmer 128, a keeper fluke, a keeper weak and a couple shorts, all with the same rig that garnered very little off the boat yesterday. Saw others catching too. Nasty mist to start off necessitating SealSkinz socks and a second tank top. Current died down around 10AM and took the opportunity to tow my fish laden stringers back to the boat ramp before I had to fight the outgoing.

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nisa1823