Captain's Table 11/20 Blackfish Bite

Area: North Fork

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
Yesterday’s split charter consisted of Rich and his “79 year young” Dad from NJ plus regular Frank G and Matt.

Very cold start with some left over Northerly breeze had me heading to Ct for our first drop in 50’ of water. Full moon flood tide was pushing pretty hard at first and for a brief time we had to exceed my self-imposed weight limit of 12 oz. to drag out the 16’s Fortunately the tide backed off quickly. Although Rich is a lifelong avid fisherman, he claimed he had never pursued Tog in the past. It only took him about 5 minutes to put the first 17” keeper in the box! For the next 2 hours we enjoyed constant action with the usual sorting going on. However slowly but surely, we managed to put a total of 7 keepers to 5# in the box before losing the tide. Thankfully, everyone made a contribution to the catch during the first drop.

Now the wind has dropped out nicely so it was time for the run over to my favorite jig drop north of Fishers. About 3 minutes after I get the boat positioned properly Frank G’s spinning rod doubles over and following a very spirited battle, I slip the net under what was to be the top Blackfish of the day at 6.75#. Once again, this drop came up big time for my crew and we started to see a very nice mix of keepers. Rich, who had never used a spinner on Tog boated a nice fat fish of just about 6#, Frank G another 5# fish, and Matt broke in his new Grappler rod with a pretty 4# keeper. We quickly reached our 5-man limit in about an hour. Just before it was time for me to prep the catch, I slipped my jig down for a quick try and came up with a healthy 5.5# female that was promptly sent home to rebuild the population. While I stood at the cutting board the guys caught and released many more Tog, including several more keepers. A nice comfortable cruise home on a flat calm Sound capped a terrific day.

Sadly, I have now come to the last week of my 2021 season. I have several crews ready, willing, and anxious to take their last shot at the solid North Fork Tog bite. At this point it is all in Mother Nature’s hands. Hope to squeeze at least one or two more adventures for what has proved to be another outstanding Blackfish season out east.

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423 cell

112021frankg6.75tog.jpg112021richdad6#tog.jpg112021mb5.5#tog.jpg

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018
Yesterday’s split charter consisted of Rich and his “79 year young” Dad from NJ plus regular Frank G and Matt.

Very cold start with some left over Northerly breeze had me heading to Ct for our first drop in 50’ of water. Full moon flood tide was pushing pretty hard at first and for a brief time we had to exceed my self-imposed weight limit of 12 oz. to drag out the 16’s Fortunately the tide backed off quickly. Although Rich is a lifelong avid fisherman, he claimed he had never pursued Tog in the past. It only took him about 5 minutes to put the first 17” keeper in the box! For the next 2 hours we enjoyed constant action with the usual sorting going on. However slowly but surely, we managed to put a total of 7 keepers to 5# in the box before losing the tide. Thankfully, everyone made a contribution to the catch during the first drop.

Now the wind has dropped out nicely so it was time for the run over to my favorite jig drop north of Fishers. About 3 minutes after I get the boat positioned properly Frank G’s spinning rod doubles over and following a very spirited battle, I slip the net under what was to be the top Blackfish of the day at 6.75#. Once again, this drop came up big time for my crew and we started to see a very nice mix of keepers. Rich, who had never used a spinner on Tog boated a nice fat fish of just about 6#, Frank G another 5# fish, and Matt broke in his new Grappler rod with a pretty 4# keeper. We quickly reached our 5-man limit in about an hour. Just before it was time for me to prep the catch, I slipped my jig down for a quick try and came up with a healthy 5.5# female that was promptly sent home to rebuild the population. While I stood at the cutting board the guys caught and released many more Tog, including several more keepers. A nice comfortable cruise home on a flat calm Sound capped a terrific day.

Sadly, I have now come to the last week of my 2021 season. I have several crews ready, willing, and anxious to take their last shot at the solid North Fork Tog bite. At this point it is all in Mother Nature’s hands. Hope to squeeze at least one or two more adventures for what has proved to be another outstanding Blackfish season out east.

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423 cell

View attachment 40759View attachment 40760View attachment 40761
well done men 8-)(y),,,,,,,,,,,,,,real nice report capt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ><)))):>
><)))):>

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOBBYBB1949