Captains Table Fall Tog Action

Area: North Fork

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
Had my long-term customers John and son in law Ricky along with “celebrity “Chef Nader join me today for some fine Tog fishing on a beautiful fall day.

First drop was a popular reef in 50’ of water on the CT side of the Sound for 2 hours from the end of the ebb to start of flood. Action fired up right away with a few Sea Bass, both short and keepers, quickly followed by a steady Tog bite. First a 4# then a 5# keeper find the box, then Nader gets a huge hit that doubles over his new Loomis rod all the way to the butt! Nader struggles to get just a few turns on the reel but cannot budge this very stubborn fish. Almost as soon as the battle began it ended with a broken leader, which I found out to be only 20# Fluorocarbon. I highly recommended he upgrade to my 40# leader but he just kept kicking himself the rest of the morning over losing such a quality fish! Anyway, the crew went back to work and boated 4 more keepers, same size range, before the strength of the tide forced us to make a change.

Next took a ride east to try our hand at jigging some of the nice shallow drops on the west side of Fishers. First drop was all Sea Bass and we boxed a few more nice ones to 3# but the goal was Tog so we quickly made a change. On to one of my more reliable 35’ drops and after going through a few more Sea Bass and Scup the larger Tog started to mix in. First a 4# fish then a 6# fatty. As we marched towards reaching our boat limit Nader is still agonizing over the very large Tog he dropped earlier. However, his determination paid off and redemption came along during the last hour of the trip. Another solid hit resulted in a good hook up and very spirited battle that had the Chef dancing all around the cockpit before I slid the net under a super thick 8.7# fish. So, our final tally for the day wound up with a dozen fat Tog and 14 keeper Sea Bass that I turned into some quality filet before we headed to port.

I sure hope this coming weeks forecast improves a little as the fishing is stating to catch fire, we have the coveted quarter phase moon period starting, and I have 4 crews anxiously awaiting their chance to jump on the solid Tog bite. Let’s hope the weatherman is “wrong” in our favor for a change. Stay tuned for further updates and availability of some upcoming dates in November.

Capt. Mike

516-317-5423 cell

102321nader8+tog.jpg102321naderlimit.jpg