Captains Table - Forget February, Think Spring (Specials)

Area: North Fork

Despite this week’s snowstorm and the ridiculous antics of “Punxsutawney Phil”, I am thinking positively about the warmer weather and fishing opportunities to come! So, I figured it's never too soon to announce my special rates for early spring trips on the Captains Table. At this point many dates are available, although Memorial Day weekend Saturday 5/29 is already booked. Here are the details:

Effective Dates: May 1 through June 6

Special Rates: Book a half day (4.5 hours) charter at normal rate, $400, and receive a 6 hour trip; Huge Spring spawning Porgies or Doormat Fluke; two species trips are priced at $425 to cover additional bait costs

Book a full day trip (8-9 hours) at $650, $100 off my normal full day rate (Full day trips allow enough time to add a shot at Striped Bass for the best stage of the tide along with a second species)

Either trip is for up to 5 anglers

At these prices the choice dates will go fast so try and make your plans soon.

To those out plying the waters the remainder of this winter, tight lines!

Capt. Mike Bady
516-317-5423 cell
[email protected]

519rickffluke5.jpg5119hugescup.jpgsal35#bass61518 (2).png

Thanks for the interest guys.
I would think you should not have a problem getting 4 or 5 together but if you need help, don't be shy and ask me. I often put split charters together and can typically find one or 2 anglers to fill in, even on short notice.

Right now all weekend dates are open except for the Memorial Day Saturday which is booked annually by one of my regulars. Great time of year to fish the North Fork as everything is local... less running time = more fishing time!

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
I heard the early fluke is great on the north shore out east. I've never fished out there at that time of year so I'd definitely be interested.

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
I have the weekends of May 2,8,9,15 if that works for anyone. Although 2nd is probably too early. Haven't seen an opening date for Fluke yet.

Hi Snapprhead,
Here is my suggestion to yourself and those who might want to put together a crew.

In the past several years the Porgy fishing usually takes off right away so even May 2 is not too early if that is your area of concentration. If Fluke regulations follow last years lead then May 4 will be the opening day for us in 2021. Personally, if Fluke are part of your target species then I would give it another week to allow the water temps to come up a bit.

Finally, if you want to add Striped Bass as part of a full day trip then I would suggest May 15 or later. In my over 50 years of experience fishing the North Fork, our Striped Bass fishing for a more consistent pick of keeper sized fish usually starts after the first Full Moon or New Moon period following mid May. So, I would suggest either the May 15 weekend or even May 22 if that is available to you should you want to include Striped Bass fishing in the mix.

Feel free to call my cell if you want to discuss this in greater detail regarding exactly which tidal stages and time of day I would consider to be optimal for whatever date you choose.

I hope that helps.
Capt. Mike

Reactions: Snapprhead27

Bachala

New Angler
May 14, 2019
I'll join. Pretty much any day will work for me. midweek or weekend. Would prefer mid to late May as captain indicated regarding the bite. Just curious Capt are you the mate as well?

Hi Bachala,
This past weekend 3 dates were already booked, including the weekend of May 15,16. So, I would encourage you to contact your buddies soon and give me a call, especially if you are looking for a weekend date. You mentioned your own flexibility for weekdays and certainly those dates are much easier to book.

And, yes, I do double duty as Capt. and Mate. Have no fear I never mind working hard for my customers!!
Capt. Mike
516-317-5423 cell

Reactions: WhatKnot

Bachala

New Angler
May 14, 2019
Hi Bachala,
This past weekend 3 dates were already booked, including the weekend of May 15,16. So, I would encourage you to contact your buddies soon and give me a call, especially if you are looking for a weekend date. You mentioned your own flexibility for weekdays and certainly those dates are much easier to book.

And, yes, I do double duty as Capt. and Mate. Have no fear I never mind working hard for my customers!!
Capt. Mike
516-317-5423 cell
Thanks Capt, the reason I ask if you are the mate is I was curious how tipping works on a boat like yours. I don't mean to come across wrong here, I always tip 20% to the mates but if you as owner are running the boat solo, are you still expecting a tip. What is customary on such a trip?

Bachala

New Angler
May 14, 2019
Thanks Capt, the reason I ask if you are the mate is I was curious how tipping works on a boat like yours. I don't mean to come across wrong here, I always tip 20% to the mates but if you as owner are running the boat solo, are you still expecting a tip. What is customary on such a trip?
Also, do you ever run as an open boat or contact individuals when you are trying to fill a six pack trip?

Hi Bachala,
While tips are not mandatory they are certainly appreciated. Since I am doing both jobs most of my customers do tip me for my excellent service. My rates include virtually everything bait, rigs, lead, ice, photos, and fish cleaning. The only exception is Gulp if you want to use that for Fluke. I can also supply rods and reels, if necessary. All you need to bring are lunch, drinks, and your fishing expertise! I offer a very much a full service type of charter.

As far as split charters go, once I have 2 or 3 anglers I will try to fill in with one or two more. Although I am able to take 6, I try to keep the crew down to 4 or 5 to minimize tangles and maximize your time fishing. So far, Chinacat and Benny V have expressed interest so you might want to see if you can build a crew with them.

I hope that helps.
Capt. Mike

Bachala

New Angler
May 14, 2019
Hi Bachala,
While tips are not mandatory they are certainly appreciated. Since I am doing both jobs most of my customers do tip me for my excellent service. My rates include virtually everything bait, rigs, lead, ice, photos, and fish cleaning. The only exception is Gulp if you want to use that for Fluke. I can also supply rods and reels, if necessary. All you need to bring are lunch, drinks, and your fishing expertise! I offer a very much a full service type of charter.

As far as split charters go, once I have 2 or 3 anglers I will try to fill in with one or two more. Although I am able to take 6, I try to keep the crew down to 4 or 5 to minimize tangles and maximize your time fishing. So far, Chinacat and Benny V have expressed interest so you might want to see if you can build a crew with them.

I hope that helps.
Capt. Mike
Thanks for the reply Capt !!! Look forward to fishing with you in the future.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Seeing that I make the peconic porgy run on my own boat a few times a season, I'm more interested in a bass and fluke trip.
However, with my son being involved in multiple bands and musical projects, he has high hopes for lots of gigs once the weather breaks and outdoor venues open up so weekends are a no go for me and planning too far in advance overall is tough for me. I'm unfortunately going to have to stay on the "sideline" and hope to jump on a trip with you guys as last minute extra or have Mike try and use me and my dad as fill ins on a split

Hi Bachala,
If you want to send me a PM or text message with your contact information, I will keep your name on my call list and let you know when openings come up.

Mitch, obviously I already have your contact info so if you are looking for a weekday Bass trip for yourself and your Dad I will also make a note of that.
Thanks again for the interest guys.
Capt. Mike

Reactions: Chinacat

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elrockk