captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Friday, I sailed solo to scope out some new spots in anticipation for my charter scheduled for Saturday. On a new drop, also on the CT side, I was immediately into fast action on the start of the ebb. With a minimal of sorting smaller fish I had my 3 fish limit to 6# in about 45 minutes. I spent the next couple of hours testing some other “fishy looking” locations near Plum I. to keep in my back pocket for those days when the wind puffs steady out of the south. I caught a mix of shorts and keepers to return on each drop so Day 2 of the marathon for me was also quite successful.

Today I ran an “Open Boat Trip” for 4 anglers and based upon my solid results from the prior 2 days as well as last week’s limit trips I figured it would be a “cake walk” Naturally, the Tog had other thoughts in mind and I wound up swallowing a large piece of “humble pie”. We started on the CT shallow drop that was so good on Thursday but on the end of the flood instead of the ebb. Two hours of a strong effort only produced 4 smallish keepers.
Off we go to the nearby reef in 50’ but the new moon tides blew us off that piece in less than an hour. A lost of lost tackle, a number of short Tog and only one 17” keeper to show for our time there. So, I realized we needed to find another shallower piece of bottom more protected from the screaming tides.
The last drop of the day was a favorite 40’ spot near Fishers and while the ebb tide was pulling pretty hard there at least it was fishable. Again, a lot of sorting was experienced but we did eventually pull 6 more keepers to 5.5# for 2 hours-time. I can’t recall the last time I worked so hard to come up just one fish short of a boat limit. Just when you think you have Blackfish almost figured out, they throw you a curve. I guess it’s one of those challenges that keeps us coming back to the fight time and time again.

Looking forward to the next weather break and some lighter tidal flows to get back on track. Spots are still available on a few upcoming trips so give me a call if you want to get out.
Capt. Mike
516-317-5423 cell
racerock166@aol.com
102619matttog.jpg

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
Friday, I sailed solo to scope out some new spots in anticipation for my charter scheduled for Saturday. On a new drop, also on the CT side, I was immediately into fast action on the start of the ebb. With a minimal of sorting smaller fish I had my 3 fish limit to 6# in about 45 minutes. I spent the next couple of hours testing some other “fishy looking” locations near Plum I. to keep in my back pocket for those days when the wind puffs steady out of the south. I caught a mix of shorts and keepers to return on each drop so Day 2 of the marathon for me was also quite successful.

Today I ran an “Open Boat Trip” for 4 anglers and based upon my solid results from the prior 2 days as well as last week’s limit trips I figured it would be a “cake walk” Naturally, the Tog had other thoughts in mind and I wound up swallowing a large piece of “humble pie”. We started on the CT shallow drop that was so good on Thursday but on the end of the flood instead of the ebb. Two hours of a strong effort only produced 4 smallish keepers.
Off we go to the nearby reef in 50’ but the new moon tides blew us off that piece in less than an hour. A lost of lost tackle, a number of short Tog and only one 17” keeper to show for our time there. So, I realized we needed to find another shallower piece of bottom more protected from the screaming tides.
The last drop of the day was a favorite 40’ spot near Fishers and while the ebb tide was pulling pretty hard there at least it was fishable. Again, a lot of sorting was experienced but we did eventually pull 6 more keepers to 5.5# for 2 hours-time. I can’t recall the last time I worked so hard to come up just one fish short of a boat limit. Just when you think you have Blackfish almost figured out, they throw you a curve. I guess it’s one of those challenges that keeps us coming back to the fight time and time again.

Looking forward to the next weather break and some lighter tidal flows to get back on track. Spots are still available on a few upcoming trips so give me a call if you want to get out.
Capt. Mike
516-317-5423 cell
racerock166@aol.com
View attachment 12206
Yesterday was challenging to say the least.

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
I fished solo yesterday on a local reef - hit 6 normally excellent drops for zero keepers - ZERO! Probably 20 carefully released shorts.

So don't feel bad Capt. Mike, you had a great day in comparison to mine!

Reactions: george

Chinacat

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Wow. I would classify that as you were up to the challenge captain and gave it all you had to take care of your fares!!!

I would also say I find it very refreshing and impressive the way you consistently tell it like it really is/was 👍👍 That speaks volumes

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Thanks, guys. You can never get too cocky when it comes to Tog fishing. I guess I am just driven to do the very best I can every time out for my crew.
Next trip will be better!!

Reactions: MOJOE and george

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togman1