Chesapeake Bay - Eastern Shore Virginia

Area: Mid Sound

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
Cobia Tourny

Fished the Eastern Shore Anglers Club Cobia Tourny yeasterday aboard Capt13's Privateer along with one of Capt13's neighbors Len with fresh bunker for bait.
Both sides of the tide.

Incoming: we were dealing with agressive Cow Nose Rays (8) around 20 to 30 pounds which put up a hell of a fight as they ran circles around the boat. 3 small sharks & small bluefish (snappers) which went toward the bait pile.
I did hook up a HUGE Stingray with what looked to be 5 feet wingtip to wingtip & had to go 50+ pounds. THought my rod was going to snap.

Outgoing: the Cobia showed up. Let me tell you these fish out fight bass. Had 4 at 25 to about 50 inches. I took 2. Best was just shy 30 inches which we photographed & sent back. 40 inches is the limit & only 1 per boat regardless of the number of anglers. Wanted to try for something larger anywho for tourny win,
2 others were hooked by Capt13 with the largest being a really nice potential winner at about 50 inches. Darn did that put up a fight. Len insisted we use his net as it was a pretty large net. Unfortunatly it was also a 20 old net. 13 got the fish intio the net just as the circle hook came out. As Len was lifting the net to get the Cobia into the boat I was astonished to see the fish swimming away. :oops: I wasn't really sure what I was seeing. The fish had been firmly netted. Then realized the fish had somehow managed to swim "through" the net. He had put two holes in the netting & escape the later we found outto be a 20 year old net.

Talk disappointed.
:mad:

There were only 4 boats & anglerrs in the Tourney & we made up 3 of those Anglers. That was a potential Torney winner.

As we had been at it since 9:30 & it was now approaching 5 & we were exhuasted from playing with those Rays we headed back in (Tourny closed @ 6). Because of the limits on Cobia the rules were if you land something that less then the 40 ijnch keeper size (meaning you have to return) a photgraph with a tape measure would suffice to enter it. WE got back before the other 3 boats did. So we don't know if anyone else beat my "30ish" size catch.

We'll find out shortly.

Chesapeake cooperated beautifully. Just about 80 with a light breeze & 1 to 2 foor swells.

Cobia June 2022.jpg

Last edited:

CELLFISH

Well-Known Angler
Jan 14, 2019
Hey W, Rays hang on bottom, is that how to fish for Cobia… ???

Last edited:

wader

Well-Known Angler
Dec 22, 2018
Onancock, Virginia
Hey W, Rays hang on bottom, is that how to fish for Cobia… ???
Cobia - from what I've been told/read move all through the water column. They can be fished on the bottom, trolled for & what seems to be a big thing here - is to sight cast for them. You see a lot of center consoles with towers an them & a "spotter" in the tower directing the boat.

We fished bunker chunks on a fish finder on the bottom.

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
Cobia Tourny

Fished the Eastern Shore Anglers Club Cobia Tourny yeasterday aboard Capt13's Privateer along with one of Capt13's neighbors Len with fresh bunker for bait.
Both sides of the tide.

Incoming: we were dealing with agressive Cow Nose Rays (8) around 20 to 30 pounds which put up a hell of a fight as they ran circles around the boat. 3 small sharks & small bluefish (snappers) which went toward the bait pile.
I did hook up a HUGE Stingray with what looked to be 5 feet wingtip to wingtip & had to go 50+ pounds. THought my rod was going to snap.

Outgoing: the Cobia showed up. Let me tell you these fish out fight bass. Had 4 at 25 to about 50 inches. I took 2. Best was just shy 30 inches which we photographed & sent back. 40 inches is the limit & only 1 per boat regardless of the number of anglers. Wanted to try for something larger anywho for tourny win,
2 others were hooked by Capt13 with the largest being a really nice potential winner at about 50 inches. Darn did that put up a fight. Len insisted we use his net as it was a pretty large net. Unfortunatly it was also a 20 old net. 13 got the fish intio the net just as the circle hook came out. As Len was lifting the net to get the Cobia into the boat I was astonished to see the fish swimming away. :oops: I wasn't really sure what I was seeing. The fish had been firmly netted. Then realized the fish had somehow managed to swim "through" the net. He had put two holes in the netting & escape the later we found outto be a 20 year old net.

Talk disappointed.
:mad:

There were only 4 boats & anglerrs in the Tourney & we made up 3 of those Anglers. That was a potential Torney winner.

As we had been at it since 9:30 & it was now approaching 5 & we were exhuasted from playing with those Rays we headed back in (Tourny closed @ 6). Because of the limits on Cobia the rules were if you land something that less then the 40 ijnch keeper size (meaning you have to return) a photgraph with a tape measure would suffice to enter it. WE got back before the other 3 boats did. So we don't know if anyone else beat my "30ish" size catch.

We'll find out shortly.

Chesapeake cooperated beautifully. Just about 80 with a light breeze & 1 to 2 foor swells.

View attachment 50449
That net story is good for “What is going on in this world”

Reactions: MOJOE

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motherfluker