Cold Tog

Area: North Fork

live bait

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Just saw Capt Mike's report, he called yesterday morning chilly, I'll call it cold. 29 degrees when I dumped the boat in & although the forecast called for a North wind at 5, I was greeted with due east at about 10. Got to the north side of Plum, anchored & decided my 21' boat was not very happy in the wind against tide condition. Pulled the anchor & headed for the south side of Plum Island where the conditions were a little better. Found good bottom & started sorting through the shorts, & finally iced a nice 17" keeper. By now the tide changed & I found the north side of the Island had turned into fishable conditions, although the east wind still had a cold bite. Although the bite was steady, it never warmed up my old bones, put my 3rd keeper on ice at about 11 & looking at the wind for the next few days, time to call it a season. Tomorrow I'll start to put the boat to sleep, & get it wrapped.......John

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Nice Job john!
When we got on Capt Mike's boat it seemed dead calm in the marina.
Once we passed the gut and got on the south side of plum it was worse than the predicted 5-10 and 1' or less....
Conditions greatly improved as the day went on
Glad you had a good last trip on what what looks like a strong season for you based on your reports.

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
Just saw Capt Mike's report, he called yesterday morning chilly, I'll call it cold. 29 degrees when I dumped the boat in & although the forecast called for a North wind at 5, I was greeted with due east at about 10. Got to the north side of Plum, anchored & decided my 21' boat was not very happy in the wind against tide condition. Pulled the anchor & headed for the south side of Plum Island where the conditions were a little better. Found good bottom & started sorting through the shorts, & finally iced a nice 17" keeper. By now the tide changed & I found the north side of the Island had turned into fishable conditions, although the east wind still had a cold bite. Although the bite was steady, it never warmed up my old bones, put my 3rd keeper on ice at about 11 & looking at the wind for the next few days, time to call it a season. Tomorrow I'll start to put the boat to sleep, & get it wrapped.......John
Hi John,
Yes, Mitch's observations are a lot closer to the actual conditions than I had mentioned. We did have a fairly steady NE breeze of about 10-5 until about 11 a.m. After that the wind finally dropped out and our last spot was in a very protected location, so it made everything seem a whole lot nicer a on a cold day.

I also want to second Mitch's comment on your season. From what I read it looks like you scored very well on most of your trips. Well done sir! Let's hope for a short and mild winter so we can all get back at it again come next year.
Capt. Mike

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
njpdlstar