Converted Fly Rod

DamnFish

New Angler
Sep 24, 2021
East Meadow
I had this crazy idea to add a butt end to a cheapie fly rod I have, so I can balance it with a spinning reel.

So I found a piece of PVC softened it and screwed it on as a long butt end, it measures a little more than 8 inches. I also took the the time to balance it with the reel on it. What I have essentially is a noodle rod that I'm going to use off the surf in the right conditions, hoping for some keeper fluke and maybe even a few schoolies and larger snappers.

It's a Bass Pro Shop Power Plus, Graphite reinforced 9 foot 7/8 wt fly rod, paired with a Daiwa Ballistic 3000SH, spooled with 10lb PowerPro.

What do you think my chances are...will it do the trick. I'll be throwing 1/2oz maximum.....but I thought it would be a cool winter project to play with.

Attachments

• IMG_6398[1].JPG
    IMG_6398[1].JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6400[1].JPG
    IMG_6400[1].JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6401[1].JPG
    IMG_6401[1].JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

DamnFish

New Angler
Sep 24, 2021
East Meadow
So I got out this weekend to try her out. Totally different experience!

There is no muscling the cast, this is a soft toss or lob kind of cast, more finesse!

Only had one bit and what a surprise as the pole bent way down, before I even had a chance to set the hook, All in all I think this will work...it's gonna make it a fun year of fishing

Reactions: WhatKnot

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccny73