Coyote spotted on Robert Moses beach

WillD

New Angler
Mar 6, 2019
Merrick NY
DEC cameras have caught footage of a coyote roaming Robert Moses state park. There's been a few sightings here and there for years now over the island and last year there was footage of one in Roslyn. I work nights and take the meadowbrook parkway home and last year right around the time it was spotted in Roslyn I am 99.999% sure I saw one running into the woods along the parkway. Could have easily followed the parkway down to Moses. They usually don't bother people but still something to keep an eye out for this year.

News 12 with the footage:

• Wow
Reactions: george and MOJOE

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
We don't see them on Long Island. It had to cross a bridge somewhere too get here. I saw one on the ice in Yonkers once and there's been some spotted in the Bronx.

Maybe this is nature's way of reducing the deer population on Fire Island.

Reactions: MOJOE

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Nature always finds a way. I never saw nor smelled a skunk (At least the rodent version; there were plenty of human versions back then, but I digress) on LI before my exodus in 1983. Apparently there was some viral infection in the 1920s that wiped them out. Now I understand they are back, so animals like coyotes that do well in suburban environments should be repopulating the island too.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
No rodent has a chance in my neighborhood with the feral cats around. They have killed everything that moves. I had Robbins nest in a tree right outside my door up until last year when one of those cats killed them all. I caught it on my cameras. We do have a single crazy turkey around though and a few Fox. Maybe nature is going to take care of the cat problem.

E947C47E-8FAB-443F-A327-FF5A1B27B713.jpeg

Reactions: MOJOE and Roccus7

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Nature always finds a way. I never saw nor smelled a skunk (At least the rodent version; there were plenty of human versions back then, but I digress) on LI before my exodus in 1983. Apparently there was some viral infection in the 1920s that wiped them out. Now I understand they are back, so animals like coyotes that do well in suburban environments should be repopulating the island too.
Saw two skunks run across the entrance to southbound Sagitos off of Vets right in front of me. this after nearly running into two bucks that September evening near a sump and houses on the Smithtown/ Commack border. Saw a coyote in Quoque/ Westhampton Beach area in November. Hopefully they will start eating the feral cats (IMHO they should eat all cats )which decimate the songbird and ground bird population which ordinarily might help with the tick problem.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
No rodent has a chance in my neighborhood with the feral cats around. They have killed everything that moves. I had Robbins nest in a tree right outside my door up until last year when one of those cats killed them all. I caught it on my cameras. We do have a single crazy turkey around though and a few Fox. Maybe nature is going to take care of the cat problem.

View attachment 15761
Sitting here admiring your handsome, well-groomed suburban lawn, but not missing mine 1 little bit. Can't believe how much time and money one saves by going feral. Yes, I have about an acre of grassed lawn, but with only 1 weed & feed application a year, no watering, a zero turn lawn mower with a straight out discharge, and being able to put on a backpack and blow my leaves into the surrounding woods, I save a ton in both time and $$, which is good because those two commodities get sucked up by fishing!! And the seagulls, seals, and ospreys don't complain when the lawn looks ratty.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
or grow zoysia. since it took over my yard over 15 years ago (gradually spread from the illegals using blowers a couple doors down) I have not fertilized, used grubicide or fungicide, limed for the first time since 2005 last spring, I water maybe once or twice all summer, mow it maybe every 10 days instead of weekly, and weeds just can not make inroads. At all. Drawback ? I suppose if one wants a green lawn in April or November. ( then again, that means I don't have to mow during the rut.) Except for when I tore my biceps tendon in '94, no one else has ever mowed my lawn.
But back on topic, lets kill the damn cats.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
Saw two skunks run across the entrance to southbound Sagitos off of Vets right in front of me. this after nearly running into two bucks that September evening near a sump and houses on the Smithtown/ Commack border. Saw a coyote in Quoque/ Westhampton Beach area in November. Hopefully they will start eating the feral cats (IMHO they should eat all cats )which decimate the songbird and ground bird population which ordinarily might help with the tick problem.
Wow! I stop at the Duncan all the time. Deer are all over. My neighbor showed me a pick of deer in my yard!. I am a cat guy, but they should be kept in the home. We have a well intentioned neighbor that has a cat hotel complete with auto feeders and heated padding. He had most of them spaid but it keeps attracting new ones. I've pleaded with him to stop but he doesn't get it. We are barren of all ground birds, rabbits and Chipmunks.

WillD

New Angler
Mar 6, 2019
Merrick NY
My cousin works for the MTA. He told me there's a few of them that live in the park/woods next to the Locust Manor train station. They've been their for years I didn't believe him until he sent me pics a while back. I did a quick google search and sure enough there's plenty of material of people saying they've seen them in there. Maybe they're breeding and just spreading out from there.

This is all the way back to 2010:

Reactions: 7stripes and MOJOE

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
That is one resilient animal. I've seen many of them in the Catskills. I love when people sleepover and in the morning they're like "What was that howling last night" My neighbor up there had their dog picked right off the leash by one. I saw 4-people once trying to shoot one running up a field and I'll never forget that dog was running serpentine.

It's still alive today.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
While deer hunting last November out east one came running. When it was about 50 yards out and at my ten o'clock (assuming my direct front at 12) it 'braked' and without pause continued at the same speed directly away from me. I was in a blind but unlike deer they can see blaze orange camo through the window. This one didn't need a serpentine route !

Bassknuckles

Angler
Jan 15, 2019
Lets see what happens when the plovers show up, the bird lovers are going to want it caught and relocated,

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
If all those feral cats couldn't kill the plovers, its doubtful (and a shame) the coyotes will. Here's hoping the yotes will prefer Chinese food over a mouthful of feathers...

Stevepanther

New Angler
Apr 5, 2019
I worked nights at LaGuardia airport and there were at least a dozen roaming around back there by the little league field

Reactions: 7stripes

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUI