Crabby Night ECOs enter water in plain clothes to nab poachers.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
On Aug. 28, ECOs Connor Dodge and Daniel Plows conducted late night clamming and crabbing checks at low tide in Jamaica Bay, Queens. The evening started off slow with only three groups actively crabbing due to the sporadic rain and late low tides. ECO Dodge checked a group of three people leaving the bridge and discovered they had 36 crabs under the legal size out of their total catch of 75. Two of the individuals observed were issued a ticket for possessing blue claw crabs under the 4.5-inch size limit and the small crabs were returned to the water. Later, ECOs observed 15 people out in the water scooping crabs into their buckets. After about an hour, the ECOs developed a plan to nab them all. ECO Plows went into the water in plainclothes with a bucket and head lamp to blend in. He collected three groups of crabbers for ECO Dodge to inspect. While the ECOs were counting crabs, additional individuals exited the water. ECOs inspected their catch, as well, and found that all of them possessed undersized crabs over the limit of possession. In total, the ECOs counted approximately 700 blue claw crabs, of which 270 were under the size restriction and 400 were over the possession limit of the group. The late-night patrol resulted in ECOs Dodge and Plows issuing 14 summonses returnable to Queens County court for possession of undersize and over the limit of blue claw crabs.

ECO using a headlanmp to look at crabs that have been put into a container
various containers containing many illegally obtained crabs

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
those darn Scandinavian immigrants were at it again ! Since they have zero chance of obtaining pesos, rubles or yuan, do they confiscate any and all fishing equipment ? Were the crabs still alive released ?

Reactions: BennyV

Old Mud

Well-Known Angler
Dec 31, 2018
On this side of the lawn
This is getting to amaze me. Why do they have so much trouble with people following the law ? Are the laws spelled out for people? Do they know they are breaking the law ? To many people ? Ignorant people ? Hungry people ? Do the courts have teeth or Ball$ as we say up here. ? Do the punishments fit the crime. ?

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
The best piece of this to me was the fact that the eco's actually went into the water undercover - or is that underwater :) These guys and gals really do a lot of unseen work. Think about how long it took just to count them - In total, "the ECOs counted approximately 700 blue claw crabs, of which 270 were under the size restriction and 400 were over the possession limit of the group. " That's a lot of sauce.

Reactions: MOJOE

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
This is getting to amaze me. Why do they have so much trouble with people following the law ? Are the laws spelled out for people? Do they know they are breaking the law ? To many people ? Ignorant people ? Hungry people ? Do the courts have teeth or Ball$ as we say up here. ? Do the punishments fit the crime. ?
I think it's a combination of everything, with the majority just not knowing or caring to know what the rules are. Fact is I couldn't name every species and regulation and I do this every day. A few weeks ago I posted a bunch of folk's clamming off of Sunken Meadow Beach. I had no clue if it were legal or not, and it turned out they were in illegal waters by a few hundred yards. You needed to find a map that outlines the clean water.

When we fish any body of freshwater in NY the regulations are always posted and clear. You just don't see that anywhere in the salt. I'm not suggesting it's a reason to break the law but posting regulations at docks, tackle shops, on open and charter boats as well as could help this issue.

Reactions: MOJOE and Old Mud

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
I think it's a combination of everything, with the majority just not knowing or caring to know what the rules are. Fact is I couldn't name every species and regulation and I do this every day. A few weeks ago I posted a bunch of folk's clamming off of Sunken Meadow Beach. I had no clue if it were legal or not, and it turned out they were in illegal waters by a few hundred yards. You needed to find a map that outlines the clean water.

When we fish any body of freshwater in NY the regulations are always posted and clear. You just don't see that anywhere in the salt. I'm not suggesting it's a reason to break the law but posting regulations at docks, tackle shops, on open and charter boats. And with a 10% increase in Latino anglers last year, it's probably time to have the regs spelled out in Spanish and English.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
¿QUE?

Can't forget Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, etc...
I'm starting to know you real well. I knew that was coming. Fact is the Latino sector is now the fastest-growing segment in fishing here in NY. Look at all of the new packagings coming out, both Spanish and English on tackle. I'd be happy with English only regulations. Most anglers haven't a clue. But lets have them use

• Haha
Reactions: Roccus7

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
Ignorance and entitlement, plus they don’t care because there are little to no repercussions.

Reactions: pequa1 and Old Mud

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myaquasport