CT Trio Admit To Illegally Scuttling Abandoned Vessels On LIS

BennyV

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
I wonder who snitched. Someone probably didn’t get paid lol.

Guys used to do stuff like this all the time down in the western sound. Old school guys using cinder blocks, shopping carts, and anything else not nailed down. There used to be a sweet little wreck off of Hart Island that was placed there, according to an acquaintance, that I had the privilege of fishing on for quite sometime. Actually brought up a piece of it on my anchor once lol. I believe it was a small sailboat that washed ashore in Eastchester Bay during a storm and was towed out & scuttled.

Not like they were committing insurance fraud or anything.

Would be nice if the state had a reef program in the western and central sound.

Last edited:

Matts

Angler
Feb 11, 2019
Port Washington
I'm told that in the Florida Keys, folks are always sinking things like old refrigerators or freezers to attract lobsters.

JoeTackle

New Angler
Feb 27, 2019
I work in an industrial complex in Suffolk County, where abandon boats were dumped in remote areas of the complex. They must have caught the person because no boats have turned up recently.

Reactions: BennyV

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
You see old boats all over the place that nobody wants anymore, wish they cleaned them up and sank them in the ocean. Where do they scrap boats and how do they break them apart? I wish they'd sink a boat here and there outside the shipping lanes instead of lumping them all together in a reef . Years ago I thought about taking a broken down boat filling it with rocks and sinking it 25 miles offshore . Down in Florida the county /towns have their own reef programs. Broward is one of them. With all the junk /rocks the Town of Hempstead collects every year, they could add some of that stuff to the reefs.

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James