DEC doing Striped Bass PCB Survey

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
This may seem innocuous, BUT if the PCBs are lower, they may consider dropping the no commercial fishing west of Wading River/Debs Inlet. Now that being said, there will be no upward adjustment of the NY Commercial Quota, it would just allow some commercial fishing westward...

NY DEC Striper PCB Survey

Reactions: george

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
@Roccus7 This is a scary thing for striped bass conservationists. The state has wanted to open the Hudson River to coms for decades. It's the only thing that has saved them up until this point. There was a time a few years back when they claimed that on one side of the river the bass were high in PCBs, and just a few hundred yards away they were within their edible size.

When you read between the lines of this release you will see that they'll be targeting fish just before the spawn. That's scary to me. That is one of the healthiest bass spawning grounds on the planet, and I don't even want those fish considered.

Let's face it, their regional regs are an absolute joke. I can't imagine a single scientist in the world agreeing with our "excuse" for PCBs. We all know that there are migratory fish on the move year-round. We all know that the striped bass we catch in Rockaway came from the so-called clean region.

This is the first step in the migration of opening the commercial fishery for bass, during the spawn of this great sportfish!

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
@Roccus7 This is a scary thing for striped bass conservationists. The state has wanted to open the Hudson River to coms for decades. It's the only thing that has saved them up until this point. There was a time a few years back when they claimed that on one side of the river the bass were high in PCBs, and just a few hundred yards away they were within their edible size.

When you read between the lines of this release you will see that they'll be targeting fish just before the spawn. That's scary to me. That is one of the healthiest bass spawning grounds on the planet, and I don't even want those fish considered.

Let's face it, their regional regs are an absolute joke. I can't imagine a single scientist in the world agreeing with our "excuse" for PCBs. We all know that there are migratory fish on the move year-round. We all know that the striped bass we catch in Rockaway came from the so-called clean region.

This is the first step in the migration of opening the commercial fishery for bass, during the spawn of this great sportfish!
Absolutely!! You want to know something really funny. Most states suggest limiting the consumption of striped bass and warn women of childbearing age and children from having any, EXCEPT MA. They have no limitations on consumption at all, and their commercial reg is 35" minimum, 15 fish per day rod & reel. There go all the breeders we've been trying to protect. The going rate for striper fillet in MA markets is $30/lb!!

Many folks go "Recmercial" and buy the commercial license even if they have no intention to sell so they can target and keep a trophy fish.

Members online

No members online now.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motherfluker