Detailing a boat

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
My son does auto and boat ceramic coatings and while it isn't cheap it is an amazing product for a boat. It lasts 3 years and will keep the boat like new. I keep mine in a slip and it looks better than when it was new. It lasts about 3 years, so there is no waxing or detailing for 3 years. Blood and guts wash off with a simple rinse. He coats everything from the seats to the T-Top.

There are many variables for costs so he would need to look at it but ballpark is 2-3K.

In my case, I just don't charge him any rent to love here :) Take a close look at the mirror image on my boat below. He's out there right now getting it ready for me to splash this weekend.

Here is my 2014 Roballo with a new ceramic coating. It shines better than new.

1620764655868.png

Reactions: WhatKnot
The hull does look beautiful, George.

Although I am all ready to go for this season I have to give the ceramic route some serious consideration come next year. While my hull looks pretty good and is plain white there is no doubt that after 17 seasons if I want it to look showroom new via traditional methods it would need a good compounding first to take off some of the chalky appearance. I am wondering if the ceramic products allow you to skip the compound step.

I am also impressed with your results considering you have a colored hull. Usually those fade pretty quickly and it's always a battle to bring them back to their original shine. Your son does nice work!

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
The hull does look beautiful, George.

Although I am all ready to go for this season I have to give the ceramic route some serious consideration come next year. While my hull looks pretty good and is plain white there is no doubt that after 17 seasons if I want it to look showroom new via traditional methods it would need a good compounding first to take off some of the chalky appearance. I am wondering if the ceramic products allow you to skip the compound step.

I am also impressed with your results considering you have a colored hull. Usually those fade pretty quickly and it's always a battle to bring them back to their original shine. Your son does nice work!
DITTO @george

My wife use to ask me why I never consider a colored hull until we passed a, red hulled Steiger Craft, that had to have been a good 10 years old and never waxed nor compounded. I pointed to that hazy, faded boat and told her, "That is why any dark-colored hull is off my boat Wish List"!! It was a rare moment of nautical agreement between us.

Last boat was light yellow and current boat is a light cream color and in both instances, a yearly shot with 3M Clean & Wax has kept them in the pink.

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
My son does auto and boat ceramic coatings and while it isn't cheap

Here is my 2014 Roballo with a new ceramic coating. It shines better than new.

View attachment 33519
How big is the Roballo and how much would it have costed someone else?

It is shiny! I put Griots 3 in 1 ceramic wax on my boat. Probably not the same stuff your son used. But it holds up well on the car.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
How big is the Roballo and how much would it have costed someone else?

It is shiny! I put Griots 3 in 1 ceramic wax on my boat. Probably not the same stuff your son used. But it holds up well on the car.
My boat is 18 feet and it was starting to powder a bit. But there are many variables that he needs to consider. It's a tedious process as the entires boat is wheeled twice with different compounds and then the ceramic coating is applied. Once it cures there's no need for detailing again for another 3 years. And it will keep that shine and provide simple maintenance for the next three years.

Aside from mine, he does mostly racing and restored boats. But I can tell you having all of your hardware, engine, snaps, and aluminum coated with this stuff keeps it like new. No rusting around any screws or snaps. And this is with a boat that's in the salt from Now until the end of October.

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nisa1823