Do you have to flush out an Outboard with freshwater if it didn't start ?

Pangaroo

Angler
Jan 15, 2021
I launched my boat and tried for 10 minutes to get it to start . Pulled the cord again and again and it wouldn't start. When you pull the cord does the engine suck in water ? Or does it only pull in water when it's running ? When I got home I realized why it didn't start- the fuel vent was closed. Thanks for any help.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
My C-90 1999 Yamaha will spit water out the tell-tale when I am engaging the starter and thus before the engine actually starts. Of course, its a key start and a pull cord was provided as a backup. Don't know if that helps you but that water is coming from the bay just as though it was running.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Just flush it out with the "ear muffs". If the engine didn't start, I doubt the thermostat would have opened so nothing was flowing through the block...

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
but if the telltale was spitting seawater was going past the impeller... But as R7 says... I have never NOT run my motor at the washdown rack or at home after going out on the water with muffs and a freshwater hose.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
but if the telltale was spitting seawater was going past the impeller... But as R7 says... I have never NOT run my motor at the washdown rack or at home after going out on the water with muffs and a freshwater hose.
Yes, P-tube spits water without engine running. On my motor, when I push water through the ear muffs, the water goes out of it even if the engine is off. Thermostat needs to be activated for water to flow through the block...

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nr1730