Double Uni knot ?

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
this is a "WAY INSHORE" scenario query, (as in casting distance from most waterfront houses)-
I am going to reduce my kayak rig to 10lb braid and a 6' long 25lb fluoro leader this year. Is the double uni knot best in order to eliminate barrel swivels, etc? Will it pass through the guides easily ? Or should I consider a shorter leader so the knot when netting a fish is likely to be outside of the guides ? Is the knot still strong regarding breaking strength ?
I haven't bought bait in years, just use light leadhead bucktails and a smallish Gulp, will use a different rig if livelining.

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
If you use it, double up the braid. I personally don't care for DU, too much clanging thru the guides for me. I like the FG knot, but that knot takes time and a bit of practice to get it right. Beautiful once mastered though . . .

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Thanks ! I do not envision having to change the braid to leader connection while on the yak so the FG, which I had never heard of, may be for me. Definitely have the time now to get one right!

Last edited:

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
I use the DU, but as Lep says, double the braid. I have found 15# braid works with 20LB flouro leader. I keep my leaders at maybe 30 inches, so it does not go through the guides. Have never had a problem. Landed fluke, blues, weakfish, sea trout, redfish and a striper around 18 pounds which I did have to put a bit more pressure on than normal as that bugger ran for a nearby bridge and dock. Outfit is a Stradic 2500 with a G Loomis popping rod.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Last year I went to a Tsunami 6' Slimwave (601Med)with a Daiwa BG2000 with 3/4 oz jigs on 15lb Fireline braid and 25lb fluoro leaders, and was able to fish in up to 30' like I did in the past with heavier stuff. But breaking off a snag on a kayak was a challenge so I want to go lighter. I picked up some 1/2 oz jigs along with more 3/4s at Ward Melville.

and Longcast, I think I will stick with my 36-40" leaders and just replace them when I change jigs a couple of times and they get too short. that will allow me to use the double uni as well.
Another question gents: is the double uni the same as what some called the barrel knot a few decades back ?

Last edited:

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
About the leader, I was not overly happy with the DU passing through the guides, thus keeping it as long as possible but also short enough to cast effectively. I do understand being on a kayak is much different. Also, my rod is 7 feet.

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
A blood knot is very different than a DU. It is intended to join to similar lines, primarily mono, co-poly or perhaps fluoro. I wouldn’t recommend it for your stated purpose.

Reactions: pequa1

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I can do a pretty good DU knot in the garage at the workbench in a controlled environment and be comfortable with it holding up in various scenarios. However I find it difficult to do in action on the water
Most times I’ve had breaks are not the knot failing but the mono or braid itself if I’m in a snag I can’t get out of

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Yes, I figure if I am on the kayak and I break off I will just tie on a barrel swivel and tie both braid main line and leader to either end of it, and replace it with DU or try the FG knot when I get home. I had to do the same back in days of old when I used blood knots to connect a leader to a main mono line when both were of similar diameters.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yun