I found a problem this year when I was redoing my gas tank lid, I bought a new cover for the engine harness that goes from the engine to inside the boat, the harness that controls the tach/oil gauge/info on my Yamaha engine had worn through the outer covering and 4 out of the 8 wires running to the instrument panel on my boat were broken and worn corroded, it had to be that way for sometime, yamaha wanted 400$ for the harness, I wasn't having that, so I ran cat 5 Ethernet cable from my instrument panel to the engine, one by one I spliced the harness at both ends ringing out ea. wire before making the splice, everything is working great.No fancy battery switches here. A dedicated house battery switch with only an On and Off option. We will see what the marine electronics guy says. He promised he’d be at boat in next few days.
Marine Electrician was at the boat this am. Both engine alternators are pumping 15+ volts at engine. Both starting batteries continue to read 14.1. House battery stays at 13.3 when plugged into shore power, but drops to 11.6 once removed from shore power with electronics on. He is (in his words) 99.8% sure it's the charging isolator which looks original to the boat (2005) and is corroded. He will order a new one and we will go from there. I'll let the group know once new one is installed if that was it.Please come back and let us know what he found. Might save someone else a ton of angst.
John, that was the one thing I never asked about, I just assumed you checked it out.Just closing the loop on my issue - appears it was the isolator. New isolator and battery in today and marine electrician says everything is reading normal again. I’ll check the boat tomorrow to confirm.
We had an insane day. Was a bit of a grind and then three drifts with I believe 14 keepers with most being 5 to 8 pounds. Please, please PLEASE pull up next time and introduce yourself (Jay or Fluke Whisperer so I can put a face with the name).John, that was the one thing I never asked about, I just assumed you checked it out.
Glad your electrical demons are gone, My son and I saw you and John Skinner out at the windmills last sunday, what a great day it was, hopping to get a couple of more in if my sons aren't to busy.
Rick's boat is really a sweet ride, looks even more impressive on the water, I also like the Sea Vees, saw you coming out of the west, you must have been coming from Greenport or Montauk.
Next drift posted his trip and I'm still laughing about the rod, been there done that. lol
Yea, it seemed to turn on around 11 am for us, I always make it a practice to never invade someone else's space.We had an insane day. Was a bit of a grind and then three drifts with I believe 14 keepers with most being 5 to 8 pounds. Please, please PLEASE pull up next time and introduce yourself (Jay or Fluke Whisperer so I can put a face with the name).
That really sucks....sorry to hear.....My demons are back....at least this time I didn't have to get towed back in, I was able to start the boat by jumping the key from the house battery bus bar. She ran like crap not having power to the speed control module, but got us home. Finally got the wiring diagram and some insight from a Volvo guy.....let the games begin part 2.
Really sorry to hear this.My demons are back....at least this time I didn't have to get towed back in, I was able to start the boat by jumping the key from the house battery bus bar. She ran like crap not having power to the speed control module, but got us home. Finally got the wiring diagram and some insight from a Volvo guy.....let the games begin part 2.
That's great news, I hate it when someone else does something, never documents it and it leads to the frustration you are going through, but hopefully it's behind you, I rewired my entire boat when I started digging into the wiring. I have a couple of pics.Demon's have been exorcised. I spent 6 hours crawling around the engine and electrical system and found the wiring harness is a (3) piece harness. Buried under the engine and tyRapped to the back side of the heat exchanger was another 16 pin connector that someone had already been in and cut out 2 wires. The inside was all burnt up and the female side of the connectors just crumbled when I picked at them with my probe. I cut the entire thing out and painstakingly butt connected each wire, shrink wrapped, and liquid taped them all. Funny thing.....the harness changes colors at this connector. Thank God each position is numbered in the old connector.......just match the numbers and crimp one at a time. Needless to say when I was done, I was truly done physically....It was hot !
Boat ran great after I was done. It was a good learning experience and also taught me to trust my instincts.