Ethanol-Free Gas for your outboard - Anyone ever hear this????

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
With the ability to get ethanol-free gas at 2 local gas stations this year, I've bit the bullet and forked over the extra cash to use ethanol-free gas for my outboard. When I told someone that yesterday he said his mechanic said it was bad to shift an engine that used to gasoline w/ethanol to ethanol-free gas?

Is there any truth to that statement?? I can't figure out why that would be, but certainly don't want to be killing my engine with kindness...

With the ability to get ethanol-free gas at 2 local gas stations this year, I've bit the bullet and forked over the extra cash to use ethanol-free gas for my outboard. When I told someone that yesterday he said his mechanic said it was bad to shift an engine that used to gasoline w/ethanol to ethanol-free gas?

Is there any truth to that statement?? I can't figure out why that would be, but certainly don't want to be killing my engine with kindness...
My buddy who moved to Oregon 4 yrs ago sent me a pic of why he didn't bring his 25 foot Wellcraft with him, ethanol free gas is $6.24 a gallon at the marina.
a link to ethanol free gas

Pure-Gas.org : Map of Ethanol-Free Gas Stations in Oregon

• Wow
Reactions: JBayRoyal

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine

Nontypical

New Angler
May 5, 2020
I can’t get ethanol free during the season, but when it’s time to put the boat away in the fall I buy a gallon from the local auto parts and run that through the motor for the winter.

Reactions: MOJOE and Roccus7

Nontypical

New Angler
May 5, 2020
@Nontypical There's a station in St. James that offers it. North Country Gas Bait and Tackle
I heard about that but I leave my boat in the water all year. When it comes time to haul it, I run the fuel on the way back to the ramp. I just disconnect my fuel line from the filter and stick it right into the gallon can that it comes in. I usually burn about a 1/2 gallon out of it. Once it’s home, I pump out whatever I have left in the tank for the winter.
And on top of that, St James isn’t exactly around the corner from me being on the N fork. But thanks for mentioning it. I’m sure others can take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOJOE and george

Son of a sailor

New Angler
Sep 22, 2020
As per the op question, I also was told by the Yamaha dealer that you should use one or the other. Don’t switch back and forth between ethanol and non ethanol fuel. Unfortunately I don’t remember the reason why.

Reactions: george

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
As per the op question, I also was told by the Yamaha dealer that you should use one or the other. Don’t switch back and forth between ethanol and non ethanol fuel. Unfortunately I don’t remember the reason why.
Interesting. Well I'm not Yo-Yoing this, I made the switch at the beginning of the season and will keep forking out the extra $$ for the ethanol-free stuff. I already have to have a hole cut into my deck to install another access port to replace a leaking gasket on a fuel tank plate that is not in use, thank you ethanol. Even the Cirque du Soleil graduates at the boat yard couldn't get to all the screws to do the replacement...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sfishing2000