Fall Porgy Bite is on

Area: Western Sound

alexg425

New Angler
Aug 3, 2020
White Plains, NY
Went out for a quick one hour session at high slack today for shallow water porgies. Messed around with some pompano jigs aka goofy jigs (at the suggestion of eliasvfishing) for LI sound porgies. Couldn't get them to hit just bouncing the jig along the bottom but once I put a small piece of bloodworm on there the fish were all over it as soon as it hit bottom. Tons of small 5-6 inch seabass to weed through. Unfortunately I dropped a few really nice porgies on those jigs, probably pushing 16 inches. Will probably just use regular high low rigs or a single smaller hook. Would be nice to see some bigger seabass, I will be looking to try and fish incoming along those shallow jetties this weekend. Maybe if it stays calm I'll try some reefs for the seabass. I'll probably go for clams next time and maybe throw out a chum pot. The only keeper size seabass I see in the western sound come around this time of year. I've been focusing on freshwater (got a nice walleye last week) but the LI sound is calling me back now! Water temps 68

Last edited:

alexg425

New Angler
Aug 3, 2020
White Plains, NY
will invest in a scaler eventually, I just started doing this recipe this year. Spoon works okay. Apart form just getting the scales off, the mess in the sink is kind of annoying. Do you get as many stray scales going flying with the scaler compared to the spoon method?

arkpov56

New Angler
Apr 30, 2020
will invest in a scaler eventually, I just started doing this recipe this year. Spoon works okay. Apart form just getting the scales off, the mess in the sink is kind of annoying. Do you get as many stray scales going flying with the scaler compared to the spoon method?
Back
Best scaler made in Japan, available on Amazon. And no, scales will fly much less.

Chevy1

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Islip
Where did you catch a walleye? Only place I know around here is Lake Ronkonkoma?

sytheteacher

New Angler
Aug 31, 2020
I have a home made scalar that works great.. It is made from a scrap piece of oak and I screwed two rows of bottle caps to it...

Reactions: live bait

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbysea