Fatal boat crash is West Fox Creek, Great South Bay, Long Island

Aquarius

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York
Police: Lindenhurst man killed in Great South Bay boat crash

Police say one person died in a boat crash in the Great South Bay, south of Babylon.

Police say just before 3 p.m. Sunday, David Nostrand, of Farmingdale, was operating a 17-foot Boston Whaler in West Fox Creek Channel.

That's when his boat hit another boat, a 22-foot Activator, heading north. Police say that boat was being operated by 19-year-old Ian Morgan, of Lindenhurst.

Morgan's passenger, 25-year-old Zachary McCarthy, of Lindenhurst, was killed.

Nostrand and Morgan were treated for minor injuries.

Crews respond to boat crash near Hemlock Cove in Babylon

Suffolk police said they are still investigating what led up to the crash, but say drugs and alcohol were not involved.

It is not clear if those involved were wearing life vests.

The boats were impounded for safety checks.

Police say they do not believe drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash. No charges have been filed.

• Sad
Reactions: WhatKnot

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Even when I was still working, 2010 and earlier, I only boated on weekdays from June to September, using vacation days, and on weekends on the yak stay in the 5mph zones of which there are a LOT in Matzohpizza. Its not just the drunks and dopers; many people are just plain STUPID. Snoozeday makes it sound like this was a head on crash.

Reactions: WhatKnot

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
So sorry to hear this.
I try and avoid the weekends as much as possible too but sometimes those are the days with the right conditions.