Federal Ban on Scup?

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Oh, being just a bay fisherman, (except in the fall off the ocean beach), and now just off a kayak, I always thought of porgies as a fall back if no fluke, stripers, sea bass or tautog were to be gotten.

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
Its true. I blame th MAFMC and ASMFC for failing to make the required its to prevent overfishing. They forced the NMFS into this as thy are required, by law, to prevent overfishing.

Matts

Angler
Feb 11, 2019
Port Washington
Am I wrong, or does this just affect boats heading to block Island and passing through federal waters on the trip, or catching porgies as a by-catch on an offshore wreck trip. I doubt most boats specifically targeting porgies head to federal waters?

Reactions: pequa1

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Its true. I blame th MAFMC and ASMFC for failing to make the required its to prevent overfishing. They forced the NMFS into this as thy are required, by law, to prevent overfishing.
Thanks for the clarification MM👍

So essentially its similar to the current no fishing for striped bass in federal waters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MakoMike

OVERBORED

Angler
Jan 6, 2021
Thanks for the clarification MM👍

So essentially its similar to the current no fishing for striped bass in federal waters?
I know a few party/charter boats that would suffer Sept thru December. Scup is a mainstay. Not exactly a C/R species.....

Last edited by a moderator:

OVERBORED

Angler
Jan 6, 2021
In my opinion, one of two things (or both) needs to happen: 46yr old Magnuson-Stevens needs to be reworked or fisheries managers need to go.

Need new blood with new ideas. Alot of brilliant young Marine Biologists out there. Let's listen to what they have to say.

Reactions: Chinacat

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
I know a few party/charter boats that would suffer Sept thru December. Scup is a mainstay. Not exactly a C/R species.....
Gotcha and agree
I wasn’t commenting on the practicality or specifics but just simply the way its in federal waters only 👍

I don’t fish for bass in federal waters, at least not from my own boat and my home port, so honestly I didn’t know that you can still C&R them there??

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
Gotcha and agree
I wasn’t commenting on the practicality or specifics but just simply the way its in federal waters only 👍

I don’t fish for bass in federal waters, at least not from my own boat and my home port, so honestly I didn’t know that you can still C&R them there??
You can't fish for striped bass in federal waters. No C&R n keep, no nuttin.

Members online

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Csdep1