Finally Had A Chance To Get Out

Area: North Fork

live bait

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Started early & had myself & the boat ready for early May, made one porgie trip & then life jumped up & got in the way. Boat sat on the trailer till last Friday when I decided things alowed a day on the water. The tide & wind were right, for a morning trip to Plum Gut, considering the bright sun, the recent heat, & the end of June I didn't expect much. First drift had a bluefish bite off, well at least their is life. The next two hours the bass were eager to take my offerings, & five bass hit the deck, all but one fat 34 incher returned. Excited about the action, I called my son who lives in Queens & talked him into coming out Saturday. Back to the Gut where we couldn't get a fish, can't say as I even saw a net go over on the other boats. To salvage the day we ran to the race while their was still tide, & my 45 tear old "kid" tangled with big bluefish till he had enough. All & all a good day on the water. Keep thinking about the many gallons of boat gass I didn't burn all spring........John

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Nice job John.
I was hoping everything was OK with you as I hadn't seen any reports. (y)
I haven't been out anywhere near as much as I usually am this season for a multitude of reasons

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
Started early & had myself & the boat ready for early May, made one porgie trip & then life jumped up & got in the way. Boat sat on the trailer till last Friday when I decided things alowed a day on the water. The tide & wind were right, for a morning trip to Plum Gut, considering the bright sun, the recent heat, & the end of June I didn't expect much. First drift had a bluefish bite off, well at least their is life. The next two hours the bass were eager to take my offerings, & five bass hit the deck, all but one fat 34 incher returned. Excited about the action, I called my son who lives in Queens & talked him into coming out Saturday. Back to the Gut where we couldn't get a fish, can't say as I even saw a net go over on the other boats. To salvage the day we ran to the race while their was still tide, & my 45 tear old "kid" tangled with big bluefish till he had enough. All & all a good day on the water. Keep thinking about the many gallons of boat gass I didn't burn all spring........John
Hi John,
Yes, we missed you at the Gut this spring but glad to hear you are back on the scene. Too bad you missed most of June and mid-May as it was an exceptional spring Bass season. We saw limits on nearly every trip and about a 60-75% keeper ratio with most of the fish 30-35" and plenty of over slot Bass as well.

As you noted the summer heat has really taken its toll on the Bass fishing, at least the daytime action. There are still plenty of Blues in the Gut but you have to fish the flood tide. The Race will still give up Blues on either tide but again Bass are tough to come by even there unless you fish very early mornings or around sunset.
Good luck and be safe out there.
Capt. Mike