Florida Flounder

CELLFISH

Well-Known Angler
Jan 14, 2019
Florida “Flounder” are our “FLUKE”... if I’m not mistaken... cellfish...

Reactions: MOJOE

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
That would be correct. Fluke = Flounder from just about Delaware south and the Gulf of Mexico.

That is not true. From NC to FL most "flounder" are southern flounder the paralichthes lethostigma species, our fluke is a different species, paralichthes dentatus. They are closely related but the southern flounder doesn't get nearly as big as our fluke.

NoFlukenName

New Angler
Apr 1, 2019
This article best describes the different names. To be clear, “southern flounder” and the “summer flounder” we see here in the NE are closely related, but different. Also, I think the “fluke” vs “flounder” naming convention border is somewhere in NJ. I run a charter and most, but not all, of my NJ clients call our fluke “flounder.”

CELLFISH

Well-Known Angler
Jan 14, 2019
I didn’t know that our Flounder are predatory fish, always thought they were opportunist, sucking up tidbits onda bottom.... the Fluke I know have wider mouths 👄 than Flounder and they have teeth too for “chasing@ prey... teeth vs no-teeth... nothing mentioned in article bout teeth... cellfish...

MakoMike

Angler
Dec 30, 2018
There are also 4 spot flounder that look a lot like what we call fluke. But they also don’t get nearly as big as the fish we call fluke.

Reactions: CELLFISH

Staff online

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbysea