Fluke fishing the bay

Area: New York Bight

Captain Rock

Angler
Apr 16, 2022
Gave it a try. Outgoing tide and west wind but the drift speed was manageable. Hit some of the usual spots on the NY side. Caught 4 and 1 19 my friend had 2 before we were covered up with charters and others. Only saw one other fish caught. Short fluke that went back. Fished bucktails and teasers. 3 of 4 fish caught on white spro bucktail. Keeper on a plaun hook with a small swimming mullet in chartreuse. Nothing on white today. Nothing on nuclear chicken. 2 on pink.

Captain Rock

Angler
Apr 16, 2022
Sorry for the late report. Fished Monday all day. Started early 6am with two friends. Hit some of my usual channel edges, shallow flats near shore but found nothing. Headed to the islands at west bank. Fished the N side. Caught a couple of scattered short fluke and had a bunch of sand sharks. Some sharks were huge 10-15lb range. I am used to seeing them later in the year but not this early. I small bluefish and a couple of rigs lost likely to blues hitting the teasers. Fished off Norton's Point for 1 sea robin. Back to West Bank wind against tide. No drift but casting out managed to catch a couple more shorts. Stopped on the way in at the shallows where I started in the morning, more wind and a better drift produced a 19.25 keeper. My friends had an appointment so I came in at 2 dropped them off, called another friend who was home from work early picked him up at his dock and tried again. West wind and outgoing tide made the drift too fast over 2.5 at times. Hit the shallows in the back bay and managed a pick here and there only 1 fish per spot. Almost 6pm the wind calmed down and I hit a shallow hump that had produced in the past. My friend got a keeper and a couple of shorts. I picked up a small blue. I asked him if he wanted to do 1 more drift before heading in. He agreed and I was rewarded for my perseverance with a 22.75 inch back bay fluke.

Attachments

• 677457072.jpg
    677457072.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Csdep1