Fluke Fishing

Area: Moriches

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Took a short trip on Sunday morning, fished mostly west of the Forge River and managed a dozen fluke with one keeping at 21 inches. Mixed with some on only gulp, others mixed with squid and spearing. Three of us on the boat. Mixed in some casting for bluefish up to about 4 pounds. Finicky fish, on poppers but that popper had to be fished slowly. Boat traffic and constant pressure probably the cause. Noticed less bait than some of the prior trips. No sea robins.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
When I fished with my buddy who used traditional spearing and squid, (and for well over 12 years I have used only Gulp) he catches way more robins and short fluke than I do, but keeper wise we tended to even out. I think its partly because while bait fisherman tend to drag the spearing and squid, artificial users tend to jig the Gulp tipped bucks, evening the "ccntest." Any weaks in that area ?

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
When I fished with my buddy who used traditional spearing and squid, (and for well over 12 years I have used only Gulp) he catches way more robins and short fluke than I do, but keeper wise we tended to even out. I think its partly because while bait fisherman tend to drag the spearing and squid, artificial users tend to jig the Gulp tipped bucks, evening the "ccntest." Any weaks in that area ?
Not for me, but I heard from a very reliable source that they are around. Just kept quiet! :) Probably over by the time I get my butt back out there. Boaters.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boomer43