Fluke From Shore

buddha162

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
A few years ago, on my first ever land-based fluke trip, I scored a fish around 27". Definitely a "fluke" (ha!) as there was no planning or patterns involved. Since then I've been obsessed with breaking my record from land.

W/o asking for specific locations...where would you guys go for a shot at a doormat from shore: north shore or south shore? I know my NJ patterns pretty well...looking to travel east between now and mid June for my chance at a "shoremat."

Reactions: CELLFISH and BennyV

BennyV

Well-Known Angler
Dec 21, 2018
City Island, The Bronx
A few years ago, on my first ever land-based fluke trip, I scored a fish around 27". Definitely a "fluke" (ha!) as there was no planning or patterns involved. Since then I've been obsessed with breaking my record from land.

W/o asking for specific locations...where would you guys go for a shot at a doormat from shore: north shore or south shore? I know my NJ patterns pretty well...looking to travel east between now and mid June for my chance at a "shoremat."

Awesome fish man! I’ve seen a few get pulled out of the surf on trips down to the shore in the last few summers, but nothing even remotely close to the size of the one you have there. Best of luck in your hunt!

Reactions: buddha162

flounderjoe

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
The biggest shorematts i have lucked into are split between the northshore and southshore with one thing in common 3 of them between 6 and 8 lbs one was 9.4lbs . they all were strickly very lucky bicatches while fishing bucktails AT NIGHT for striped bass..Mind you those 4 fish happened over the coarse of almost 38 years of surf casting not what anybody should take as some kind of pattern to follow..Only two of those fish came from the same place shinnicock inlet.

buddha162

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
The biggest shorematts i have lucked into are split between the northshore and southshore with one thing in common 3 of them between 6 and 8 lbs one was 9.4lbs . they all were strickly very lucky bicatches while fishing bucktails AT NIGHT for striped bass..
Thanks! I think any legitimate "shoremat" will be a rare occurrence, whether you target them or not. Over the years I have read/heard of quite a few moonlit landings...I wonder if that could be a pattern?

buddha162

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hey Roger : Green Island Access Area - Fluke :-)
^^ was quite sticky, a short flip to channel is productive but then you got to horse 'em over the rocks.

I know u wanna head East but Great Kills can be Killer :eek:
Thanks Larry!

GK has been hit/miss last year, and almost entirely miss this year (so far). Also, the scenery leaves quite a lot to be desired...something you notice when the fish aren't cooperating lol. But yes, it can be a high % spot for shore mats early season for sure!

richtrox

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
I've caught many through the years in all kinds of places, as incidental by-catch while fishing for stripers. Quite a few came from the back bays and have had them hit a bomber, a needlefish, several lead heads, and several on chunks. That's a nice fish you got, it'll be tough to top. Happy hunting.

Reactions: longcast

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
Rich, funny you mention it, most of my nighttime fluke by catch have been on a bomber. Some in the bay, and others upfront.

Reactions: richtrox

Falhooked

New Angler
Jan 9, 2019
Ronko
Hello Buddha162, I do target them (fluke) at Shinny West. What I like best at Shinny you can fish in any direction of wind, with the wind at your back. Lost a good fish (~6-7 lbs?) this past Tuesday in East South East wind and strong sporty wet weather. Fished a sand eel pattern 2 oz spro with a succession of white mullet , nuclear chix, and pink shine gulp. They all worked to get hits as they were all eventually bit off. Fished the heavy weight as the weather was sporty and the blues were around. Held bottom well , very positive feel for it. Additionally, fishing from the front in front of the cement light station on the jetty towards the ocean side, you want to heave that buck to clear the suction of the inlet. Having dived in that inlet when it was legal to do so the fluke do set up seemingly every where. I saw them in the scour hole directly off the point of the west jetty , in between the mostly sand buried rock heads, and out in the sandy desert 50 yards away from the jetty. The biggest problem targeting them is getting to the fluke at the bottom with the right rig and presentation. I've settled on two, a single bucktail 1, 2, or 3 oz given conditions or placement. Or a fluke type rig on a three way swivel. A short ( 16-24 inch) leader with a slip on feather or bucktail skirt and 4/0 octo hook attaches to the three way. Generally a 2-4 oz sinker on a less than 6 inch leader is also attached. I have two poles as my favorites for this. A St. Croix 10 foot triumph on the ocean side to really hurl it and a seven foot St. Croix triumph for lighter work. Hope this helps, good luck fishing.

Reactions: richtrox

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chefvin