Fluke, no weaks

Area: Debs/Jones

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Got out at middle of incoming this morning and for almost an hour not a hit. While I was there didn't see anything caught and MissingLink08's dad left and took his crew to the cove I believe I heard, (as I finally started to wear my old hearing aids.) While the cove would be a two plus mile paddle for me, I did decide to go south about half a mile to a spot that did well for me once last year or the year before, and with little or no wind but annoying knats, off I went. I figured at the very least the incoming would bring me back to where I started and had been good to me for weaks, the operative word being had. On the way I stopped at a buoy that always seemed to give me a fluke or two, but never a keeper. Naturally, two 16" fluke cooperated. Paddled the rest of the way south and bam, no need to measure but did need the net. Then an 18" (which outfought everything today) came in, (but I was hoping it was a weak.) Paddled back to "the spot" and within 30 yards another good one. Everything today on combinations of pink and white Gulp and teaser/bucktails. (Whoever advised me last year to keep the teaser and not go with just the bucktail, THANK YOU.) Had a couple of swing and misses, another short or two, and decided with the heat and my rapidly approaching old age (70 later this month, lol) it was time to let God drift me back closer to the start. Couldn't pass up what had been a productive spot for me, got a short, and then the little one in the pic, a "just made it" 19.5". Took me an hour to filet, skin and vacuum seal the trio. (I would never make a mate !) Gotta jump in the pool to get the stink off- catching fish on the kayak, at least for me, is not a neat affair. I suppose I could have tried to hang around to add to the 19.5, the 23, and the 24 and actually catch a limit of fluke for the first time in years, but I am pooped. Which is a nice "problem" to have.

Attachments

• 19.5,23,24 June9,2021.jpg
    19.5,23,24 June9,2021.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7
Got out at middle of incoming this morning and for almost an hour not a hit. While I was there didn't see anything caught and MissingLink08's dad left and took his crew to the cove I believe I heard, (as I finally started to wear my old hearing aids.) While the cove would be a two plus mile paddle for me, I did decide to go south about half a mile to a spot that did well for me once last year or the year before, and with little or no wind but annoying knats, off I went. I figured at the very least the incoming would bring me back to where I started and had been good to me for weaks, the operative word being had. On the way I stopped at a buoy that always seemed to give me a fluke or two, but never a keeper. Naturally, two 16" fluke cooperated. Paddled the rest of the way south and bam, no need to measure but did need the net. Then an 18" (which outfought everything today) came in, (but I was hoping it was a weak.) Paddled back to "the spot" and within 30 yards another good one. Everything today on combinations of pink and white Gulp and teaser/bucktails. (Whoever advised me last year to keep the teaser and not go with just the bucktail, THANK YOU.) Had a couple of swing and misses, another short or two, and decided with the heat and my rapidly approaching old age (70 later this month, lol) it was time to let God drift me back closer to the start. Couldn't pass up what had been a productive spot for me, got a short, and then the little one in the pic, a "just made it" 19.5". Took me an hour to filet, skin and vacuum seal the trio. (I would never make a mate !) Gotta jump in the pool to get the stink off- catching fish on the kayak, at least for me, is not a neat affair. I suppose I could have tried to hang around to add to the 19.5, the 23, and the 24 and actually catch a limit of fluke for the first time in years, but I am pooped. Which is a nice "problem" to have.
I hit 70 in January of this year, my mind has not caught up to my body, thank god, otherwise I'd be in trouble lol
I love reading your reports, good job on the fluke.

Reactions: pequa1

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Its funny, the few times a year when I take the boat out I rarely post (probably because I rarely come home with dinner, lol.) But with the kayak I have lots of time to post as I can only take 2 or 3 hours of paddling and catching !

Reactions: Fluke Whisperer

MOJOE

Staff member
Dec 29, 2018
way to go,,,reel nice8-),,,,,,,,,, ><))):>
><)))):>

longcast

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
That's a great trip!! Glad to hear you found them.

Reactions: pequa1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boomer43