Garmin

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Garmin:

I was thinking of upgrading my 20-year-old Garmin 188C. I have seen the resolution of the newer units and it is much different.

I was thinking of the GARMIN–ECHOMAP Plus g3 74sv Fishfinder/Chartplotter Combo with GT51 Transducer and US Coastal g3 Charts.

A few questions:

1. Does anyone have this specific unit? Do you like it?
  2. I am not an electronics expert, but people I have spoken to say the GT51 Transducer is sufficient. But I understand they have a better one. For anyone with experience, is the upgrade transducer worth it?

Also, if anyone knows a reputable and knowledgeable dealer I can speak to, that would be great.

Thanks!

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Speak with the guys at BOE Marine - very knowledgeable. They are my go-to. 866-735-5926.

If you want a local guy, Chris at Precision Marine in New Rochelle (I believe) is as good as it gets.

He goes by "Warfrat" on downeastboatforum.com

Lep

Reactions: Old Mud
Mar 4, 2019
you can also try Starboard Marine in East Rockaway if you want to deal with a local hands on people. Their pricing is very competitive as well.

Stevepanther

New Angler
Apr 5, 2019
John at shinnecock electronics installs a lot of garmin and simrad machines. I’m going to have him install a new furuno on my boat

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Garmin:

I was thinking of upgrading my 20-year-old Garmin 188C. I have seen the resolution of the newer units and it is much different.

I was thinking of the GARMIN–ECHOMAP Plus g3 74sv Fishfinder/Chartplotter Combo with GT51 Transducer and US Coastal g3 Charts.

A few questions:

1. Does anyone have this specific unit? Do you like it?
  2. I am not an electronics expert, but people I have spoken to say the GT51 Transducer is sufficient. But I understand they have a better one. For anyone with experience, is the upgrade transducer worth it?

Also, if anyone knows a reputable and knowledgeable dealer I can speak to, that would be great.

Thanks!
Just in case anyone else needs to buy a unit, I found this info about the transducers:

The GT51 is a lower frequency and has more power for the Traditional CHIRP ( 600 watts) and will work deeper than the GT54UHD.

The 54UHD is mainly for close in bottom and structure use...very good to see structure details...350 watts Traditional CHIRP.

A GT23 is the same as GT51 but no side scan.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yun