Gelcoat repair or those damn furry tailed rats...

So a few seasons ago, I took off my boat cover, early in the season, to buff the hull. Left it uncovered for a few weeks. Came back and notices that f'n squirrels had chewed up some of my gelcoat by the euro transom splashwell. WTF
chewedtransom.jpg
Finally got around to fixing it up in the fall.

1024200736.jpg

This was my console cooler seat that everyone loves to slam shut...
1023201713.jpg

Almost done

1024200736a.jpg

They both need a little buffing in the spring. 👍

WhatKnot

Well-Known Angler
May 18, 2019
Astoria
So a few seasons ago, I took off my boat cover, early in the season, to buff the hull. Left it uncovered for a few weeks. Came back and notices that f'n squirrels had chewed up some of my gelcoat by the euro transom splashwell. WTF
View attachment 29495
Finally got around to fixing it up in the fall.

View attachment 29496

This was my console cooler seat that everyone loves to slam shut...
View attachment 29497

Almost done

View attachment 29498

They both need a little buffing in the spring. 👍
Nice work(y)

chunkster

Well-Known Angler
Aug 6, 2020
It's a funny thing. You see bird crap, dog poop but you never
see squirrel poop. I have no clue what squirrel poop looks like.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Both squirrel, and rat feces are dark brown or black. However, there is a slight difference between the feces of the two pests in shape. Rat droppings are spindle-shaped. Squirrel feces may also be spindle-shaped or they may appear clumped, depending primarily on the moisture content of their food source. 1610377112534.png

Reactions: chunkster

chunkster

Well-Known Angler
Aug 6, 2020

Women's Chinchilla Coat Real Rex Rabbit Fur Jacket Overcoat Striped Stand Collar US $284.05

Reactions: DarthBaiter
It was Evercoat gelcoat. The white matched my 20year old gelcoat almost perfectly, I did add a pin head amount of yellow to about 5oz to make it look very very close to the original
Tell him not to do it in the cold and use the colors sparingly to match the color.

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Thanks! But, "him" who? I do all my own work, LOL! Was it a kit with some sort of filler putty or just gelcoat, as obviously you had to do some repair work prior to the application of your gelcoat.

It's just polyeaster gelcoat with some color pigments and MEK hardner.

If it's more than gelcoat damage you need to repair, I would use polyresin or vinyl resin to fix it. You could use epoxy resin but then you have to deal with amine blush which makes the gelcoat hard to adhere to the epoxy resin repair.

Post a picture of the damage.

live bait

Angler
Dec 20, 2018
First year I had my new boat I was casting eels, at nite among a boulder field on the North Fork & put a deep scrape in the gelcoat below the water line. Hurt the new boat, a no fish nite, I wasn't happy. I used Evercoat on the damage & 5 years later it's still holding up, & the color is still true.
John

Reactions: DarthBaiter

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
I can’t post a pic now, because she’s all shrinked up in my side yard. The story is that my hauler did me a favor and got me out just before that last snow storm. When I got to the ramp it was gusting over 45 kts. As I came alongside the floater a huge gust of wind caught the stern, and swept it across the ramp before I could react with the throttle and helm - and slammed my stern into the bulkheading across the narrow ramp entrance. Nice crack in the rear corner of the swim platform. Sometimes it sux to be me.

I’ll get some pix up in Match.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiwi9911