Hellgrammite

Tedfish

New Angler
Jan 16, 2022
I was told it's now illegal to catch Dobson/Hellgrammites in streams and rivers of NYS. I used to use a screen and shovel to catch them.

Reactions: Chevy1

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Interesting in that way back when, just after Gutenberg invented the printing press, and Field and Stream just started to be publish, ANY article on Small Mouth Bass would highlight hellgrammites as the BEST BAIT in the world for them...

Reactions: Chevy1 and pequa1

Tedfish

New Angler
Jan 16, 2022
They are one of the best baits for bass. I had just as much fun catching the Hellgrammites as I did the bass. Just like catching nightcrawlers on a golf course after a rain with my grandfather.

captmike28

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Southold, NY
www.captainstablecharters.com
When I was really young, about 11 or 12 years old, my Dad took me on a freshwater fishing trip on the upper Delaware river, near Calicoon, NY The target was Shad during the spring run and a local B&T shop sold us a bunch of Hellgrammites as they were supposed to be great bait. I recall the overnight temperatures were still pretty cold so Dad, not wanting to harm our precious bait, kept them a bucket in our hotel room overnight. Darn those things were really loud! Didn't get much sleep that night between the noise and worrying about one of these nasty looking guys escaping!!:D

Chevy1

Staff member
Dec 28, 2018
Islip
I was told it's now illegal to catch Dobson/Hellgrammites in streams and rivers of NYS. I used to use a screen and shovel to catch them.
They are listed as beneficial insects so I would guess you can’t catch them.

Tedfish

New Angler
Jan 16, 2022
I personally think it's bonkers to make catching them illegal if it's only for personal use. Maybe they could allow only a certain amount on a person at a time.

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fonedork