Holiday Weekend Wrap Up - Maverick & Joe Cocker

Area: Inshore

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Fished Friday - Monday at the newest hotspot in "Keepah Kove". Fish plainly visible with intermittent surface flurries and V-wakes in shallow water, but not the most aggressive in hitting. Went through a "lure changing phase" as the constant follows of my good old Creek Chub Striper Strike, with few strikes, had me thinking they're had to be something better. Well there wasn't, tried a spook, some follows and zero hits.

Then I reasoned that maybe a floating swimming plug retrieved slowly to make a nice V-wake for attraction purposes in this shallow water may work. After 5 hitless, but followed casts with the popper, I tossed out a jointed Redfin, confident of an immediate, jarring strike. Guess what? NOT EVEN A FRIGGIN FOLLOW!! Tried a half a dozen casts and gave up with the Redfin, back to the Striper Strike to let the fish have their way with me.

I finally got a few hits by combing Top Gun F-14 afterburners and Joe Cocker spastic convulsions when I had followers. Damn, it was like high-impact aerobics out there, but stripeah fishing with me is always a contact sport. Ended the Friday - Monday run with 18 fish, only 1 under 20", and 6 of them 28 - 31". I kept only one to freeze for guests coming out next week.

A fitting coda to a great weekend of fishing came Monday evening with this season's best 31", broad-shouldered fish. She was built like the old testosterone-laden East German Shot Put Ladies, "strong like bull"!! I gently released her, hoping she would have many babies just like her...

1631100036833.png

Fished Friday - Monday at the newest hotspot in "Keepah Kove". Fish plainly visible with intermittent surface flurries and V-wakes in shallow water, but not the most aggressive in hitting. Went through a "lure changing phase" as the constant follows of my good old Creek Chub Striper Strike, with few strikes, had me thinking they're had to be something better. Well there wasn't, tried a spook, some follows and zero hits.

Then I reasoned that maybe a floating swimming plug retrieved slowly to make a nice V-wake for attraction purposes in this shallow water may work. After 5 hitless, but followed casts with the popper, I tossed out a jointed Redfin, confident of an immediate, jarring strike. Guess what? NOT EVEN A FRIGGIN FOLLOW!! Tried a half a dozen casts and gave up with the Redfin, back to the Striper Strike to let the fish have their way with me.

I finally got a few hits by combing Top Gun F-14 afterburners and Joe Cocker spastic convulsions when I had followers. Damn, it was like high-impact aerobics out there, but stripeah fishing with me is always a contact sport. Ended the Friday - Monday run with 18 fish, only 1 under 20", and 6 of them 28 - 31". I kept only one to freeze for guests coming out next week.

A fitting coda to a great weekend of fishing came Monday evening with this season's best 31", broad-shouldered fish. She was built like the old testosterone-laden East German Shot Put Ladies, "strong like bull"!! I gently released her, hoping she would have many babies just like her...

View attachment 38055
I couldn't agree more, Roccus. For many of us, fishing is a "full contact sport"!!
Well done and kudos on the release of a successful breeder!!

Reactions: Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
And my skunkless streak on bass, which ran for 79 sorties starting June 3, ended yesterday 😡.

Expectations were low to start since it was a very late 09:00 start due to tide and when the wind picked up I knew I was in trouble. Did have 1 solid hit, but missed it.

Oh well, I’ll be back at it bright and early tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sfishing2000