Hot Fluke Setups 2021

BoatGuy

Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Sound Beach
I have been using my standard "old" set-up of a bucktail and teaser. I am putting a new twist on it by using new colors.

As for the new, I am trying the "Tangle Free Rig". From On The Water
Released last year by Bill Witchey at Comb’s Bait and Tackle in Amityville, New York, this novel rig features two Thundermist T-Swivels with a 90-pound test Rosco barrel swivel and comes with 4/0 or 5/0 VMC Permasteel corrosion-free hooks. Use the 4/0 in the bay and the 5/0 in the ocean. Tied on 40-pound-test Triplefish leader material, this tangle-free hi-low rig has a 30-inch leader on the bottom and an 18-inch leader on top. The full rig length measures about 40 inches.

Use a sinker, fluke ball or bucktail as a weight with this rig. For bait, try a squid strip or squid and spearing combo on the bottom hook and a 4-inch Berkley Gulp! Swimming Minnow or pair of spearing up top. Fish this rig on a tight line at a 45-degree angle and the higher hook with the Gulp! should catch more big fish.
This rig does a great job of riding without tangles, even in 100-foot depths.

I have to add, that for fluke, none have brought me much luck in the LI Sound.

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
My two big "improvements" for 2021 are the addition of a "fly-weight" customized Daiwa Ballistic LT2500D to my Shimano Grappler jigging stick, and the inclusion of HTLureco 4oz-size custom ball jig heads in my deep jigging arsenal. I think both will serve well this season. We shall see. . .

IMG_2400_edited.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Although I started using the setup below in 2019, its still relatively new to me. I have been very happy with my Daiwa BG2000 coupled with a 6' Tunami Slimwave using a "Lep" rig, a 36" 20lb fluoro leader off 10lb chartreuse Daiwa J braid. 3/4 oz minnow style lead heads, (powder paint from HFT (me a piker, lol) from HT Lureco (thanks Pete) dressed with a bit of white bucktail and a pink skirt (thanks again for the info Pete) with a white bucktail teaser about 13 or 14" up from the buck on a dropper loop. I do use a barrel swivel to connect to the snap on the braid. Extra satisfaction dressing and assembling it all myself, especially since I harvested the deer tails myself. Haven't used bait in 15 years, usually a 3" pink curly tail Gulp grub and a smaller pink Gulp on the teaser. Might switch to white or chartreuse later in the summer. Granted this is a light setup, and I am thinking of going back to 14 or 15lb braid as the 10lb J braid is just too thin and on the yak I have to insure its not wrapping around the rod tip all the time. I do use a slightly heavier setup on the occasions of using my bay boat but constant jigging off the kayak with the aforementioned lightweight rod and reel is easy on the joints. So far this spring, and last season, I catch more weaks for dinner than fluke in my neck of the woods. Did get a 26" fluke, a 25" blue and a 23" weak on it so it handles the larger than average backbay fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: longcast

LowGear

New Angler
Feb 8, 2020
North East
Lep,

You diggin your Grappler J ML still? Picked one up , but have not wet her yet, I see some on sale at another place so wondering if I should grab a second to put with another Ballistic ?

Dont usually double up on things without trying , but you have been pretty spot on thus far.

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
I almost never put it down while fishing outside and can use 4oz jigs or less. Two friends that bought it on my recommendation feel the same way. One had a great day using it just yesterday, boxing fish to 5lbs on it.

If I were to get another for my collection, I think I would lean towards an M, which would take a wee bit more weight and be super for blackfish jigging as well. Just a squinch more horsepower would be nice to have, should a true monster tog pick up your jig and head for his favorite crevice. Not that the ML can't do that job too, but the M would be a great addition, once you have the ML.

My ML is heading out with me in just a few minutes. Let’s see if I can it a flukie worth a pic.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
Wondering what those of you who fish inside the inlets, bridges to the backbay prefer of the following two rigs when mainly bucktailing with Gulp or bait.
1. 20 years ago and more I was a Terminator fan, the Bill Wichey special at Combs sort of a three way swivel, wherein the shorter bottom leader of 6 inches or so had a feathered leadhead 1 or 2 ounces and on the other leader of 36" or so had a feathered and mylar teaser hook.
2. then along came Lep's shared knowledge and rig on that all but defunct website. I now use it almost exclusively although off the yak and bay boat and in usually less than 30' of water, I don't really need snaps, or crosslocks or those "paper clips," and just tie my stuff directly, which consists of 3 or 4 feet of leader ending in a bucktail anywhere from 3/4 to 2 oz, and about 8 inches or so up from it on a dropper loop a feathered teaser hook. I haven't used bait in many years, just Gulp. (I am targeting weaks and fluke. Sea bass where I fish are small and just a nuisance. I only striper fish from the beach in the fall.)
any preferences, gentlemen, of the two rigs (and why) ?

Occh639

New Angler
Nov 13, 2019
My two big "improvements" for 2021 are the addition of a "fly-weight" customized Daiwa Ballistic LT2500D to my Shimano Grappler jigging stick, and the inclusion of HTLureco 4oz-size custom ball jig heads in my deep jigging arsenal. I think both will serve well this season. We shall see. . .

View attachment 34049

View attachment 34050

Lep, nice reel handle,how do you like It?
Will that direct fit on my Ballistic 3000

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nisa1823