How is the fishing in the Long Island Sound?

BoatGuy

New Angler
Feb 8, 2019
I have been stuck at work. Long hours. Stinks when work interferes with your fishing.

Anyone been fishing? What are you catching? My guess is most of the keep fluke have long moved off. Looking at party boat reports and seems like Porgy and some by-catch.

By Sept, things should ease up. Looking forward to getting out there again.

BoatGuy

New Angler
Feb 8, 2019
I'm around the Port Jefferson / Sound Beach area. But others who live elsewhere may want to know.

Feel free to post. My schedule frees up the end of Sept. So hopefully the summer doldrums might be over.

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
I haven't been out for about 8 days. Until then the fluke season was tough and the bass were late to the game. I saw quite a few nice sea bass taken a few weeks ago, but it doesn't look like it's held up locally in Smithtown. On the bright side schools of an array of bunker sizes have arrived in big numbers and there have been some stripers taken while drifting a live bunker just outside the schools.

It has been the most challenging year for fluke I've ever seen.

BoatGuy

New Angler
Feb 8, 2019
Years ago I was talking to a knowledgeable fisherman. I mentioned I caught most of my keeper fluke early in the season. After the 4th of July, keepers were rare. He asked me if I knew why, which I didn't. He explained it was due to squid. Since then I almost never target Fluke after the 4th. Please note I am referring to the Port Jeff area. I did catch keeper fluke after the 4th at Montauk. But to George's point, it was a challenging year.

I am not much for Porgy fishing. I guess that is just me. I guess I'll give it a try as time frees up in Sept.

Johnny205

New Angler
Feb 2, 2019
Well I'm over on the CT side of LIS & pretty much the same thing here. Porgies up the wazoo, some sea bass and most of the fluke are all shorts.
I have Wednesday off & was planning on hitting one of the boats, but I am not a fan of porgies so I may just go to work instead.

Matts

New Angler
Feb 11, 2019
Port Washington
Took my wife and 2 friends porgy fishing Saturday.
Once the tide calmed down, it was easy pick'ens.
Nothing huge, but lots of action.
the fish tacos for lunch were awesome.
Slight modification of Buddha's recipe.
Mayo, sour cream and sriracha is an awesome combination.

PropellerJohnII

Staff member
Dec 21, 2018
LNB
I haven't been out for about 8 days. Until then the fluke season was tough and the bass were late to the game. I saw quite a few nice sea bass taken a few weeks ago, but it doesn't look like it's held up locally in Smithtown. On the bright side schools of an array of bunker sizes have arrived in big numbers and there have been some stripers taken while drifting a live bunker just outside the schools.

It has been the most challenging year for fluke I've ever seen.
Amen George. very tough.

JLR

New Angler
Apr 11, 2019
Fishing has been very slow, at least in or near the Triangle. I have been unable to get fresh bunker from the bait store since I only fish during the week. For reasons unknown to me, it seems as if you might have to wait until 10 or 10:30 in the am for the bait guy to show up. Sorry, but that wastes several hours when I prefer to be fishing. Very frustrating. Using frozen has been a waste of time. I was out today trying to troll up some blues. But, it was a little too folly for my taste. I only trolled for an hour with no luck.

poorrichard

New Angler
Jan 17, 2019
I fish the Port Jeff/Mt Sinai/ Stony Brook area weekly. The fishing has been poor at best. Fluke were very slow. I had one keeper this year. Porgies are hit and miss. Some days better than others. Fished from Port Jeff to Cranes Neck and into Smithtown. A few small porgies and sea bass. The sea robins were slow too. Saw no surface action at all. Stopped at Buoy 11 on the way in, sea robins-not many and no fluke.

Fished Middle Grounds two weeks ago and the results were similar to above.

poorrichard

New Angler
Jan 17, 2019
You never know about the fall until it gets here. If some bunker( or sand eels/spearing) move in and stay, that is a great sign. Fish will follow or find the food. Last fall was nothing special. There were plenty of albies around if you wanted to chase them. Blues were scare but around. I don fish for bass much, but there were a few caught. Black fishing on the pieces was slow, but there were a few fish around. Nothing like years past. We may be in a down cycle and have to wait it out.

flounderjoe

Angler
Mar 7, 2019
I fish out of mattituck and in the last month what ever we had good seabass and ok fluke fishing all went to hell .Seabass a slow pick of some still good sized fish and fluking is just a grind there is porgies Looks like the weather is going to give us a break this week lets hope it sparks things up again

buddha162

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
There used to be (like 12+ years ago) a reliable August fluke bite off a certain island in the extreme Western Sound. If the stars align I might have to make the trek on my kayak to see if it's still alive!

Reactions: BennyV

AllHands

New Angler
Dec 21, 2018
I’ve been fishing the LIS out of Mattituck for the last five years (before that Peconic Bay and points east). This year by far has been the worse year. One keeper fluke, not as many shorts and although I had a two week period in June where we were doing great with the seabass (easy limits 20”+ fish), they disappeared as quickly as they showed up. Hoping cooler weather and water heats things up in September.

Mbg75

New Angler
Apr 2, 2019
Mt Sinai
Fishing has been real slow. Got out this morning with a buddy. Stayed close to shore with the sw blow. Stumbled upon a school of Weakfish off Shoreham. All released.

Reactions: BennyV

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chefvin