Hudson Anglers and Point Lookout Shark Tournaments 2022

Aquarius

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York
The Hudson Anglers 2022 shark tournament was June 18 I think! I heard nothing about it. Haven't seen any results anywhere or anything. It used to be a big deal, now no mention of it.

The Point Lookout (Scottie's) Tournament is this weekend (6/25). It seems to have taken over for the Woodcleft Fishing Tournament with the passing of Richie and the closing (and tearing down!) of the fishing station. I am fishing it from a friends boat. Anybody else out there going to participate?

Reactions: BennyV

Loonzter

Angler
Jan 20, 2020
Long Island, NY
The Hudson Anglers 2022 shark tournament was June 18 I think! I heard nothing about it. Haven't seen any results anywhere or anything. It used to be a big deal, now no mention of it.

The Point Lookout (Scottie's) Tournament is this weekend (6/25). It seems to have taken over for the Woodcleft Fishing Tournament with the passing of Richie and the closing (and tearing down!) of the fishing station. I am fishing it from a friends boat. Anybody else out there going to participate?
I'm not a shark fisherman but I have a question for those who are. Someone told me there has been put in place a two-year moratorium (2022-2023) on Short Fin Mako in federal waters. The retention limit for this species for the next two years is zero. Can anyone validate or debunk if this regulation is currently in effect? Thank, I appreciate your input.

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
I'm not a shark fisherman but I have a question for those who are. Someone told me there has been put in place a two-year moratorium (2022-2023) on Short Fin Mako in federal waters. The retention limit for this species for the next two years is zero. Can anyone validate or debunk if this regulation is currently in effect? Thank, I appreciate your input.

Reactions: Loonzter

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
I was wondering the same thing If its true I would think it would put a dampener on on shark tourneys

Aquarius

Angler
Dec 21, 2018
Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, New York
Nice clip but it is NOT true. (The mako reg that is.) I am not a shark fisherman either. This was my once a year shark fishing trip. At the captain's meeting they told us that Makos were fair game. The rule has not been but in place by NOAA so as of now you can still keep Makos.

We didn't catch anything so we didn't go to the weigh in. I heard it was won by an upper 300s thresher. No sure if any makos were even caught.

Loonzter

Angler
Jan 20, 2020
Long Island, NY
Thank you for the input guys. I was thinking something that significant would have had exposure in most of the fishing periodicals. Since I hadn't read anything I was a bit surprised to hear about it. It seems the proposed moratorium is still out for review and opinion but having seen NOAA's and the ASMFC's propensity for enacting restrictions on marine species I'd say it just a matter of time.

Chinacat

Well-Known Angler
Dec 20, 2018
Off topic here maybe so I apologize in advance

As a kid growing up in Moriches I spent alot of time at MYC at the end of union avenue right next to The Shoreline.
I remember whenever they had the Great Gun or Moriches Anglers shark tournaments they would place a large dumpster at the end of Union Ave. I also remember going to the weigh ins there and seeing sharks get weighed and tossed in the dumpster.
From those days on I never understood the concept of such tournaments.

• Sad
Reactions: WhatKnot

OVERBORED

Well-Known Angler
Jan 6, 2021
Most tournaments nowadays donate the meat to local food banks. That said, tournaments and their big$$ calcuttas tend to bring out the worst in people.

Reactions: Chinacat

Members online

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motherfluker