I I I I

Area: Western Sound

AllyKat

Angler
Dec 25, 2018
I I I I
Got out on thanksgiving morning with my daughter Ally...she's been itching to go fishing and having her home from college is more than enough reason. She has been asking for more responsibility regarding the boat this year, so I figured a quiet thursday morning is a good time to have her drive the truck and trailer to the ramp. She handled the task well, and got put to the test like I've never seen before. Coming down the large hill to the parking lot, momma and baby deer decided it's a good time to cross the road. Ally hit the brakes and kept it under control as the baby deer darted left and right infront of the truck, somehow managing to avoid getting hit. Close call, but no harm no foul and luckily no one coming from the other direction.
There were already a few trailers at the ramp and considering no one else was around, I let Ally back her down. I declined recording the multiple attempts, but she listened and understood small adjustments and recentering the truck so that soon enough the boat was floating. Of course she asked to run the boat, and I was more than happy to sit back and watch her work.
My original plan to go across to the CT side with the forecasted light and variable winds got scrapped as soon as we found the NE wind of 10-15 whitecapped topped waves. Plan B was a local spot at 50 ft that was very sticky but held life. Trolling motor came out of the water a few times, but held us well enough to lose a few rigs as well as catch a number of shorts and dump the skunk with Ally's 16 inch keeper.
Moving further west around Eatons, the wind started to back off somewhat, and we hit a spot in 40 ft. More shorts, followed by another 17 inch keeper for Ally. Decent action, not like it has been, but enough to keep us interested. Finally it seemed like the wind dropped out and we had about 45 minutes left to fish, so we made a quick run to 11B and hit a 60 foot spot at high slack. Plenty of bites, but it was all small fish, and the only decent one I had spit the hook the after a few cranks off the bottom. Called it a day at 11am, and headed back in. Water temps showed 50.5 degrees.
Back at the ramp, again with no one around, Ally had much better success the second time around, getting the trailer lined up in about half the time. The ride home was uneventful as the wildlife kept their distance. Such a great memory filled trip with my daughter.
Somehow I didn't go for the rest of the weekend....although I should have. Looks like maybe one final trip this weekend.

cany

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 20, 2018
NW of Moriches inlet
Got out on thanksgiving morning with my daughter Ally...she's been itching to go fishing and having her home from college is more than enough reason. She has been asking for more responsibility regarding the boat this year, so I figured a quiet thursday morning is a good time to have her drive the truck and trailer to the ramp. She handled the task well, and got put to the test like I've never seen before. Coming down the large hill to the parking lot, momma and baby deer decided it's a good time to cross the road. Ally hit the brakes and kept it under control as the baby deer darted left and right infront of the truck, somehow managing to avoid getting hit. Close call, but no harm no foul and luckily no one coming from the other direction.
There were already a few trailers at the ramp and considering no one else was around, I let Ally back her down. I declined recording the multiple attempts, but she listened and understood small adjustments and recentering the truck so that soon enough the boat was floating. Of course she asked to run the boat, and I was more than happy to sit back and watch her work.
My original plan to go across to the CT side with the forecasted light and variable winds got scrapped as soon as we found the NE wind of 10-15 whitecapped topped waves. Plan B was a local spot at 50 ft that was very sticky but held life. Trolling motor came out of the water a few times, but held us well enough to lose a few rigs as well as catch a number of shorts and dump the skunk with Ally's 16 inch keeper.
Moving further west around Eatons, the wind started to back off somewhat, and we hit a spot in 40 ft. More shorts, followed by another 17 inch keeper for Ally. Decent action, not like it has been, but enough to keep us interested. Finally it seemed like the wind dropped out and we had about 45 minutes left to fish, so we made a quick run to 11B and hit a 60 foot spot at high slack. Plenty of bites, but it was all small fish, and the only decent one I had spit the hook the after a few cranks off the bottom. Called it a day at 11am, and headed back in. Water temps showed 50.5 degrees.
Back at the ramp, again with no one around, Ally had much better success the second time around, getting the trailer lined up in about half the time. The ride home was uneventful as the wildlife kept their distance. Such a great memory filled trip with my daughter.
Somehow I didn't go for the rest of the weekend....although I should have. Looks like maybe one final trip this weekend.
Awesome day with your Daughter

Great report Drew, I really don't do anything anymore, my younger son drives the truck and the boat, I'm just along for the ride lol.
I'm really spoiled at this point, give them more responsibility, the more responsible they become.
The forecast for Thanksgiving was way off, but you did a lot better than we did.
All the Best,
Jay

Reactions: AllyKat and Chevy1

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocco23