I'm ready for a New Lighter Tog Set up

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
Lep, do you think your grappler setup would handle Tog good, if using the tog jigs? or would the rod be too light?

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
Well, that depends on where you intend to use it and your comfort level with a "lighter" stick. The short answer: probably yes. My tiny Evict 2000 reel is certainly up to the task, no tog can pull as hard as a 6' brown shark, and that reel polished it right off. Great, super-smooth drag on these moderate-priced Tsunami reels. I am thoroughly impressed.

The rod can handle up to a 5oz sinker, maybe a 6, if you push it. I consider it a "magnum" action for fluke, but a light-ish action for tog. For me, based on the size of the fish that came up on my buddy Capt. Mike's boat out East last season, I really want more horsepower, and so I purchased a Black Hole Charter Special, the 6'8" slow pitch model. I covered a bit of this subject in the Tackle Review thread.

We did see several DD mega-tog on his boat last season, so I don't want to be under-gunned, should a biggie pick up my jig and make a run for his favorite rock. The Grappler would be a lot more fun, for sure. But it ain't "fun" when you lose a monster. Trust me, I've lost my share over the years.

I intend to also give this "jigging thing" a fair shot on my local South Shore mid-depth reefs and various hard bottom pieces, when the tide permits. Additionally, I'll give it a go on the very deep bottom I fish, at the end of the season. Can't use it there all the time, but for that period of time when the tide changes, I think a 2-3oz jig will find bottom out there. Again, we shall see.

Anyway, the best thing you could do is to go to a quality tackle shop, like Trophy Tackle in West Babylon, bring whatever reel you will be using, and give all the candidates a good looking over. You might find the Grappler ML perfectly fine for your needs. It IS a gorgeous stick, with a beautiful moderate bend to it. And don't forget, Shimano makes about 400 other models in that Grappler line, so you will probably find exactly what you are looking for - but you do need to go look. Rod power and action are soooo subjective. . .

Reactions: Snapprhead27

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
I figured since those jigs top out at 2 oz I believe, thought it would be a nice light rod. My Tsunami 2000 is currently homeless,(sold the rod last week) so I'll be searching for a new piece. Obviously no rush with the fluke season over. I'll stick to the conventional setup this year and go from there for Tog. As far as a home for the Tsunami goes, let's see if I've been good this year... The jolly fellow is only two months away 😂😂😂

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
SH27 - the Grappler Type J ML IS a very nice light rod. A great rod. Like I wrote, give it a good look. Also a nice piece would be the now-discontinued Trevala S MH spinner. A hundred smackers less than the new Grapplers, and well worth the money - you might even find one on closeout because they're being replaced in the Shimano line up. I can't speak to the newest Trevala PX sticks, haven't seen them yet.

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
Opinions vary, I'd rather use the Newell and I'm not looking
to put either of the two on a CTS. To each his own Captain. :)

Im not a newell man..but a CTS man 100% My new CTS tog jigger is boating many big tog's on jigs for the commercials

chunkster

Well-Known Angler
Aug 6, 2020
Im not a newell man..but a CTS man 100% My new CTS tog jigger is boating many big tog's on jigs for the commercials

Would you happen to know what line they're using?
I'm mostly fishing under 8 ounces

It seems a little over gunned for the fishing capt. George is looking to do and I'm also not saying
that I wouldn't want it for that application. A rod like that is to die for. The versatility will be unmatched!
A wide variety of species can be taken in consideration. The reel will play a big role in the decision making.

Snapprhead27

Well-Known Angler
May 21, 2020
Islip
Might give my fluke jigging set (baitcaster reel) up a stab as an option for light tog set up. Has an Quantum Accurist S3 PT

Attachments

• 20201014_100825.jpg
    20201014_100825.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: HighHook4Hire

spitthehook

New Angler
Nov 5, 2020
I'm looking for recommendations on a tog setup. I don't want to say money's no object, but it has been a while and I deserve it :)

I have tried an Avet SX-5.3.1 on a custom rod and liked it. Any suggestions. I'm mostly fishing under 8 ounces, most time less than that.

Thanks
I use a Trevala Rod 63MH with the Avet SX for tog with up to 8oz. Works great.

Occh639

New Angler
Nov 13, 2019
I no longer fish avets ...to many problems...The little jigging master is really nice ...I now fish low profile reels on thin light rods ...Abu & Daiwa make some nice LP reels I just upgrade the handle to the Abu power handle...

A abu garcia on a CTS is really hard to beat...
Which LPAbu do you prefer?
thanks

LowGear

New Angler
Feb 8, 2020
North East
After fishing with some slow pitch rods this summer up until now for many different fish I’m excited to give them a shot at Tog.

All of my slow pitch rods are like pencils compared to my Rodgeeks 733.

Reactions: Capt Richie

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
Do tell.. what actually is a Capt Richie CTS jigger?
Humm I do have several ..custom design for different jig weights & different lower end power...I have a 3/4 to 2oz tip with a 40lb back end & a 2 to 4 oz tip with a 20lb back end ,,.every tip has three to four back ends ,,I have about a dozen different blanks ..to match jig to back end power... for here your not catching 10 plus pound fish ..but your still using a 2oz jig..so you dont need the heavy back end ..but up north & down south you do.... i also have different tapers & actions in each line class.....mod/fast , moderate & parabolic ..slow pitch , jig & bait

my selection is very deep ..all the blanks are pencil thin & built come in under 7oz..most come in just over 6oz..

Reactions: Occh639

Occh639

New Angler
Nov 13, 2019
Humm I do have several ..custom design for different jig weights & different lower end power...I have a 3/4 to 2oz tip with a 40lb back end & a 2 to 4 oz tip with a 20lb back end ,,.every tip has three to four back ends ,,I have about a dozen different blanks ..to match jig to back end power... for here your not catching 10 plus pound fish ..but your still using a 2oz jig..so you dont need the heavy back end ..but up north & down south you do.... i also have different tapers & actions in each line class.....mod/fast , moderate & parabolic ..slow pitch , jig & bait

my selection is very deep ..all the blanks are pencil thin & built come in under 7oz..most come in just over 6oz..
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. I didn’t realize this was a much older thread.
I will shoot you a PM

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. I didn’t realize this was a much older thread.
I will shoot you a PM
everything I build is to order..I'm to busy to pre build rods & they wouldn't be custom if I did...
My CTS line is deep and 90% of the CTS blanks I sell are custom design...they come mod/fast , moderate . parabolic & slow pitch..
Yes a couple of the blank were designed for jigging blackfish ..But they also work very well as fluke jiggers too...I designed jiggers for lure weight & fish size ..I have blanks that have a 3/4 to 2 oz tip in several different back ends for different size fish...also in different actions & tapers ...It's about having fun catching fish ..one thing I hate is having a rod to heavy for what Im catching...takes all the fun out of fishing...you need to come & see for yourself ..

I also have a guy in Brooklyn building on my blanks ..he's killing it .If you cant make it out to me & if its easier for you ..I will PM you his #..

Occh639

New Angler
Nov 13, 2019
everything I build is to order..I'm to busy to pre build rods & they wouldn't be custom if I did...
My CTS line is deep and 90% of the CTS blanks I sell are custom design...they come mod/fast , moderate . parabolic & slow pitch..
Yes a couple of the blank were designed for jigging blackfish ..But they also work very well as fluke jiggers too...I designed jiggers for lure weight & fish size ..I have blanks that have a 3/4 to 2 oz tip in several different back ends for different size fish...also in different actions & tapers ...It's about having fun catching fish
PM sent

Capt Richie

Well-Known Angler
Feb 16, 2019
I really like the concept 13 A 5:4:1 gears ..makes 22lb of drag I think ,,very solid reel and at $180 good deal

Leprechaun

Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
So is the main gear in that reel aluminum, like most of the other 13-Fishing reels? If so, its a hard pass for me. I am growing tired of replacing aluminum gears for friends that should have bought reels with brass or steel gears to begin with. And I include my own Gen3 Revo Winch in that unfortunate group. The Aluminum main gear in it chipped twice. The new brass main-geared Gen4 Winch blows the Gen3 into the weeds - way more substantial. And so very smoooth.

For combo fluke/tog reels I would lean towards the Revo Beast 40 (more fluke than tog), or the slightly larger Revo Toro Beast 50. Beefy buggers. Or a Shimano Tranx 200 for fluke or the 300 for combo tog/fluke. Or a Lexa 300. Or a Curado 300. Or a Tatula 300. Or probably the very strongest of all low profiles, the Okuma Komodo 364. Just be sure to get the lowest gear ratio available in any reel you choose. Its all about power when you have to drag a big tog away from its rocky lair. The real bruisers usually don't give you a second chance to make a first impression - if you get my drift. :rolleyes:

Fishing Reports

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrT