Is it even fishing anymore?

Leprechaun

Kind of a Big Deal - In My Mind Anyway
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
40 26.470/73 32.350
I guess it had to happen, sooner or later. From Japan, of course.
IMG_0995.thumb.jpg.ae607be2647783b2d9786f62db35f058.jpg
Daiwa just introed their bluetooth-controlled IM Z LIMITBREAKER HD-C FW bass bait casting reel. You can dial in the magnetic casting control from a cell phone app. And so the Daiwa/Shimano one-upmanship battle continues. I guess this is intended to trump Shimano's DC-controlled anti-backlash technology.

Check out the multi-colored LED side indicator that tells you at a glance the casting brake mode to which the reel is set. The internal lithium battery is charged thru a USB-C connecting port. A full charge will provide sufficient power for 700 casts.

Only $965.

Let that sink in. A baitcasting reel in the $1000-class.

Geez, between this reel, those all-around/fwd-looking sonars and trolling motor spot-lock, is it even fishing anymore? Meh, I guess so - just not for me.

YT link from Daiwa/Japan:

Linked with respect from TackleTour.com:

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: jpd and Roccus7

Roccus7

Staff member
Dec 22, 2018
Midcoast Maine
Only $965. just not for me.
And the folks that have to have the newest will flock to this like flies on chit!!

Add this to "Smart Devices" that smart people wouldn't touch with a 10' St. Croix. Why pay extra, and add unnecessary electronics to something that will be used in the extremes of a salt water??

My "Poster Child for Stupid Human Tricks" are WiFi enabled refrigerators w/display panels? How do these extra, expensive additions add to the basic functionality of the appliance, which is keeping your food cold/frozen? The answer to that is Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah, but some feel they must have them, and rue the day when these unnecessary electronics go FUBAR.

People have lost sight of KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid, and subsequently, lost much of their hard-earned $$.

Reactions: Leprechaun

george

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2018
Commack NY
www.nyangler.com
I have to agree that they're pricy, but this is just a start. It won't be long before these reels communicate with youf boat network. They will mark catches on your GPS, keep track of the number of casts, and adjust to allow for the furthest cast.

But in the end you will have good days and bad days no matter what you're using. That's fishing.

pequa1

Staff member
Dec 23, 2018
, it should be obvious
This brings me back to the day I met Lep, who graciously summoned me to his garage (aka reel repair and tackle facility) where he worked on my Garcia 5600AB, the AB being anti-backlash. After more trouble with it I finally got an honest answer from a customer service rep at Garcia who admitted those reels were designed to help a newbie cast without a problem, further admitted the design had problems, and then offered to swap the two reels I had for standard reels which I still use. Instantly took her up on it. Except when I liveline snappers, I stick with spinning reels now, lol.

Fishing Reports

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocco23